Minolta AF 70-210mm F4 (beercan) A-mount lens review by dumbasadoorknob

positive:Minolta colors
Fixed aperture
Reliable focus
negative:Length
comment:This lens is not as heavy as the 28-135, and is lighter than my 135 Zeiss -- but it seems heavier because it is long -- and the length is the only real disadvantage to this lens, I feel.

My copy is really excellent in its precision, in the clarity from edge to edge, and in the Minolta colors. It has 55mm filters, and an excellent full frame range. It shines on an A900, although it was a dynamite lens on my A700 too.

I like the clip-on hood and the funny macro switch, since it makes the lens wholly versatile. I like the texture in my hand and the feeling that one gets exactly what one sees in the viewfinder.

I am a fan of fixed aperture zooms, and this f4 is really useable in most lighting given the ISO games we can now play. Of course it isn't quite as good as the 85G, 135ZA or the 200G -- but my copy is awfully close. The 70300G has a better range, but a less desirable f-stop ratio: it takes crisper pictures with colors that are almost as good as the Beercan's.

I use the 70300G more often than I use the Beercan, but I'll never sell the Beercan, and every time I decide to use it, I'm pleased with the results. It's old technology, but so is a Bentley Mulsanne -- and if I had one of those, I'd keep this lens on the backseat.