Minolta AF 70-210mm F4 (beercan) A-mount lens review by bill_bly_ca

Cheap
Solid build
negative:(Relativly) heavy vs 55-200SAM
CA
comment:This is my second Copy.

Bought the first in 2008 and it had regular use until I bought the 70-200G in the fall of 08. After that the BeerCan only came out for the odd film shoot on the 700si or when the G was at risk of being damaged.

Sold copy #1 for close to the (overpriced) $200 I paid for it in the first place in Jan of '10.

Now I am going on travel where the G is overkill and I needed a simple equivalent. All told I would rather carry a 55-200SAM (which I typically borrow from my sister in these sort of events) but a visit to a local camera shop reveled a hoodless copy for $75.

Surprisingly I never did try it on the a850, which ownership of the first beercan overlapped by 3 months, and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised. While the lens is not up to the myth that precedes it, it is quite satisfying at the $75 price point.

Personally I would not pay more than $125 for a copy as you would be better off with the 55-200 SAM - But below $125 you are getting good value for the money (Especially if you still run a roll of film from time to time)

CA is too obvious under high back illuminated items.