Minolta AF 80-200mm F2.8 APO A-mount lens review by pipesmoker

reviewer#25519 date: Mar-6-2016
compared to:MIN 28-135; MIN 85; MIN 100 Macro; Sigma 75-200 2.8-3.5; MIN 70-210 Beercan
price paid:400€ (close to mint)
positive:very sharp at 2.8
It's black!
Perfect weight balance hand hold.
Perfect range on FF.
negative:sometimes MFD sucks
bokeh is nice but sometimes may be not perfect
holder can not be removed (I usually turn it 90° for hand hold)
comment:Just a perfect tool.

A "G" in it's best meaning, especially because Minolta was creating the G- label later on for no other reason but to point out the reason for it's golden ring.

Not too much to say, what not has been said before.
My rating is considering the fact that this is a zoom lens.

I used it on APS-C and was happy for IQ but I did not found myself using it very often. On APS-C it is a wonderful high- end telephoto- lens for me but not really usable as a walk- around lens.
Without the crop on FF, the range is a lot more usable for me (well, this is just what it's made for) coming out to the point, that I use it may be ten times more often on FF than I was using it on APS-C. Small wonder, since on APS- C the 28-135 (what is a wonderful lens indeed too) covers the range of the 80-200 on FF completely.
Even if it is a quite heavy pack in combination with A900 (2,4kg and 2kg on A200) it gives a very good balance hand hold on the zoom ring.

I tried out the white one from a friend to find out if it pays off to pay double for some more AF speed, but for my use this is not the point. On the A900 AF speed is good, I don't need more.
For someone it may be a point to get more attention by having the “PRO- look” of the white one but this will not make anyone to a better photographer. Differently to this, I found it sometimes useful to get less attention.

If you are considering to buy this lens, I'm sure you will not be disappointed for the value you get for the money particularity due to it's sharpness wide open but please take in to account that it's true nature comes out on it's best on FF.

PS: If you want to use it for traveling, get a second spare battery.