Minolta AF 80-200mm F2.8 APO A-mount lens review by dxqcanada

reviewer#30695 date: Oct-1-2016
compared to:Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Sony SAL 70400, Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 II
positive:Great IQ throughout range and all apertures.
negative:Clunky noisy gear mechanism.
Heavy ... but that was expected.
Small MF dial.
comment:I needed a second fast zoom with a little more reach for low lighting situations. I researched all the up to 200mm f/2.8 lenses available and decided the Minolta was the one I wanted. I knew about this lens my old film days.

The IQ of images at wider aperture is excellent, I don't see much difference when shooting wide open. Exactly the type of lens that I need for poor lighting. It is easily as sharp or sharper than my SAL70400. AF is very quick and snappy (you can feel the torque). The lens also feels incredibly solid in the hand.

A couple of failings of this lens is the small manual focus dial (though it is positioned at the end of the lens so it does make it more stable when held there), and the noise ... especially on my A77mII, when the AF kicks in it makes a very loud noise because there is so much play in the gear (teeth). If I was a machinist I would make new gears to reduce the gaps.

FYI: I did find a way to remove the tripod mount, but it is not something you want to do in the field.