Minolta AF 80-200mm xi F4.5-5.6 A-mount lens review by Robbie

reviewer#1785 date: Feb-7-2007
compared to:Sony DT 18–70,
Minolta AF 35–105
positive:lightweight, compact, well made
negative:manual focusing, sharpness under difficult light conditions disappointing,
plastic mount
comment:I got this lens with my Dynax 5xi in the early 90s and I thought it a fine performer.
On my alpha 100 I´ve got very different results, under bright conditions the lens renders quite sharp pictures with good colors; but in situations, light isn´t that good, pictures get a bit "washed out" colors, loss in sharpness and they are noisy too. In general sharpness is less in the long end up from approx. 160 mm to end. No issues on distortion or flare (with lenshood).
Manual focussing and zooming is quite challenging because of these functions are motorized.
Despite it´s an old lense it works very well with the alpha. AF works reasonable quick and accurate.
If you get a cheap one, it´s okay, but I won´t spend more than about 80 € for it.

edit: I rated down color to 3 because of the described issues, I would give a 3,5, but that´s not possible.