Minolta AF 85mm F1.4 G D Limited A-mount lens reviews

reviewer#14228 date: Apr-20-2015
compared to:Everything else I've ever used.
price paid:many dollars!
positive:Bokeh, Bokeh, BOKEH!
Colors!
Sharpness
negative:Price
Rarity
Scared to use it for fear of the slightest damage to my baby!
comment:As we all know, 85mm lenses are traditionally known as portrait lenses. As a portrait lens on FF, I assume this lens is in a league of its own. I do not have a FF body to verify this. It is abit long on apsc for portrait work. This lens, the fisheye, and the STF are reason enough for me to buy a FF camera in the future. I LOVE THIS LENS.

Colors are classic Minolta all the way; rich, warm and inviting. I assume Minolta's other 85's deliver pleasing color as well. I do not have comparison shots. All i can say is that this lens delivers the best colors you will find.

Sharpness is very good. No reason to score this baby less than a 5. Some say Zeiss is sharper. That may be true. But the difference is likely negligible and you would be trading that meaningless sharpness by giving away superb colors and bokeh. In my opinion this lens is the ultimate portrait lens. If your intended use is portraits and the Zeiss is marginally sharper, who cares?

Bokeh is a homerun! This is a real cream machine. Nothing more need be said.

It is a G lens and a Limited Edition at that. Naturally, the build is absolutley fantastic.

AF is accurate. Nothing to complain about really.

With the right background and distance behind subject, ive seen some beautiful images with that "3D pop" people like so much.

I bought this lens for a price that would have bought me several other lenses I would love to own. It is definitely hard to justify the cost. But having used this gem, any other 85mm would somehow feel second rate. There are so few of these to go around, so it is a collectors piece just as much as a lens to actually use. Mine is in %100 mint condition with all the original box contents. A true joy to own. Sadly I do find myself very reluctant to use it often, for fear of an accident.

For all intents and purposes, the non-LE version of this lens will deliver all you need. The LE version isnt a lens that any person truly needs. This is a want!

**UPDATE**

I have used this on FF now, after buying the A900. To summarize, it’s a match made in Heaven.
reviewer#12032 date: Nov-15-2014
Very Shapeness at F1.4
Very Clear Color
negative:Very High Price
Slow Focusing
comment:The AF 85mm F1.4 G-D Limited Lens is a Masterpiece.
I have Used this lens on A900. this lens's focusing area is very Shapeness but out of focusing area is very fanstic bokeh.
reviewer#9621 date: Nov-24-2011
compared to:many prime lenses from Zeiss, Minolta, Sony and Leica
price paid:around 3000 USD
positive:- Colors greatly corrected
- unique pleasant bokeh
- very even quality across the whole frame
- no vignetting at F1.4
negative:- slight barrel distortion
- slow focusing
- big, long and heavy
comment:The 85mm G Limited is an exceptional lens in several areas. I was told, every lens has vignetting – but you wont notice it with this lens on FF-Sensor at F1.4. Sometimes I have to add a vignette in PP to give more attention to the center. The high quality of this lens is very even across the whole frame. Corners look very similar to the center even when viewing at 100%.

Auto-Focus: Its not an action lens, but snappy, accurate and reliable even at low light. Its not slower than other portrait lenses.

Bokeh: There is different taste. But this lenses bokeh is different from any of my other lenses. You hardly get that dizzy/swirley bokeh like other high speed lenses do under certain circumstances. And it isn’t just a smeary bokeh – details and large structures are somehow well preserved. There is excellent color and contrast in the bokeh. Purple-fringing is strongly reduced.

Colors: Never let you down - very accurat and consistent. Colors come pleasing out of the box. I need by far the least Post Processing (WB and colors) of all my lenses. Colors look very natural, especially skin-tones. Green is very well corrected. It is also my best lens in artificial light.

Contrast: Zeisses have more micro-contrast and look maybe somehow sharper. Also does the excellent 85G. But Details are all there and contrast in large structures, in the colors, in the bokeh and over the whole picture, is excellent and different to my other lenses. Edge contrast is also very good. It preserves shadow details in a good manner. Resistance against flares and bright backlight is very strong.

Character/Drawing: It has its own, a nice one despite it faults are corrected to a high degree. But pictures do not look as sterile as many modern lenses do (like the newest Zeiss manual 50mm F1.4). This lens shines in the treatment of the colors.

Sony: should make such a 50mm F1.4

Moderator: I want to post some examples in the subforum. But that option is not available.