Minolta AF 85mm F1.4 G RS A-mount lens review by Jay2x

70-210/4 beercan
price paid:650 eur
Beautiful bokeh
Nice weight
negative:I don't want to take it off my camera.
comment:This is one nice piece of glass, I can recommend it to anyone. Ever since buying a Dynax 5d and learning more about the Alpha camera system, this lens has been one of my 'wannahaves'.

I read the reviews of this one and the CZ85, also the comparisons, and expected it to behave like the Sony 50/1.4 I once had; only really useful from f/2 onward. I was surprised. Even though it does have some CA at f/1.4, it is quite useable for dreamy shots and still contains surprising detail.

The bokeh is wonderful, better than the (magnificent) beercan's and 50/1.4. This leads me towards the use for this lens. What is it for?

Well, I like it most for portraiture, which is the sole purpose it was designed for. But... When a lens is this good, I always keep it on my A700 and try to use it for everything. Nature shots (although I wish it would focus closer), landscape shots, shots for pano's, street candids, architecture details, pictures of children at the school I work at for the website and our yearly school calendar... It shines in every department.

One can only imagine how great it would be on an A900 or A850...