Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC A-mount lens reviews

reviewer#25503 date: Feb-23-2016
compared to:17-35 3.5 G, 28-70 2.8 G, 50mm 2.8 MACRO, and too many other lenses.
price paid:$350.00
positive:+ZERO Coma, even wide open
+Very sharp, even wide open it is acceptable.
+inexpensive
negative:-hit or miss quality, CHECK THE LENS WELL AND SHOOT TEST IMAGES!
-heavy and HUGE for a 35mm. This thing is more work to carry then the Minolta 28-70 2.8G!
-issues with infinity focus sometimes
comment:Very nice lens, it is my go to astrophotography lens because it has ZERO coma even at 1.4! It is very large and heavy, so I don't carry it around that much. It is very sharp, but watch your focus well. Mine has an issue when extremely cold, it can't make it to infinity. I've had many Rokinon/Samyang lenses and from my experience I have had 1 good for every 4 I've purchased. Be sure you buy from somewhere you can return it and test it out well! Rokinon in the USA has pretty much ZERO support. I will also post some sample images.
reviewer#11674 date: Feb-4-2014
compared to:Sony AF 28-75 F2.8 SAM,24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX Aspherical IF EX DG HSM,
positive:Sharp throughout even at open f stops. Bokeh is OK. Slightly warm color.
negative:At 100% a bit of colorfringe evident. Aperture ring slightly inconvenient and small. A99 reads nothing from the lens. Size and weight.
comment:I was looking for a prime 35mm and couldn't find the Minolta f1.4. A short trial with the Rokinon 35 convinced me that fully manual was not the way I wanted to go. Even with focus peaking it was hard to fine tune focus. Also the lack of much metadata hinders post processing. All of the above are my problems.
reviewer#11278 date: Jul-30-2013
compared to:Nikkor AF 35/2D
positive:Super sharp and rectilinear across the APS-C frame
Big focus ring
Beautiful bokeh*
Razor-thin DOF
negative:DOF is especially thin under f5.6, with slightly out of focus areas seem too soft under f8.
Big, bulky (1/focal length rule does not apply), don't shoot handheld less than 1/100)
comment:This is an amazing value but really only usable with Sony Alphas with focus peaking and EVF and proper technique. If you are not careful focusing on the correct focus points, this lens will frustrate you until you improve your camera technique. I suspect that it also has a forward focus problem when focused wide open, then stopped down to expose, so try to focus stopped down, despite what you may have learned. I prefer to use a fast shutter speed when shooting handheld, because I don't think steadyshot helps like it does with slower lenses.
reviewer#11100 date: May-9-2013
compared to:Sony DT 35 1.8
Sony CZ 85 1.4
positive:Great sharpness & colour
Great build
Great value
negative:Larger than similar primes
comment:Suits the A99 perfectly - full frame, great quality and focus peaking makes the lack of AF a non-issue.

The lens is big though, almost as large as my CZ 24-70, and much larger than my 24mm, 50mm and 85mm primes.

For APS-C users the Sony DT 35 1.8 is much smaller and lighter so may be the better option unless you want the f1.4 and the very best IQ.
reviewer#10578 date: Oct-11-2012
Sharpness
negative:Weight
Size
Hood
comment:It's a gigantic 35mm lens! On my Nex 5N looks like CZ 135mm. Great IQ from f/1.4 and up. Much more versatile than Rokinon 85 f/1.4 which own as well. Rokin 85 is specifically made for portraits so infinity focus doesn't work well. Rokin 35 with peaking on Nex is a gem in a every way. Heavy, yes... but the images have bice 3D rendering, good microcontrast, color and flare control. For the price it's a no brainer!Once I get the FF A99 then these lenses will truly shine.
reviewer#10419 date: Jul-31-2012
compared to:16-35mm 2.8 CZ @ 35mm (@2.8)
85mm 1.4 CZ
50mm 2.8 Minolta Macro

positive:Price, 1.4, IQ, bokeh.
negative:The hood feels and sounds like a $1 piece of cheap Chinese plastic...but I guess it will be cheap to replace when I eventually break it. I broke the hood on my 16-35mm CZ and its $130 to replace :(
comment:Other than the cheap hood and lens cap, this lens is an exceptional bang for the buck when compared the Sony Zeiss lenses.

I also own the Samyang 8mm fisheye which is also an amazing lens. I'm considering selling my 85mm 1.4 CZ and replacing it with the Samyang--which will give me $800 to put towards the a99 or the 50mm 1.2 SSM CZ (if the rumors are true.)

The only "downside" is that it is a manual focus lens which means that it is not that useful for any fast moving subjects; however, I find that my 85mm 1.4 CZ doesn't do a stellar job in the autofocusing department in the same situations.

The upsides are massive: tack sharp from 1.4; excellent contrast (the micro contrast on the 50mm Macro is better;) color is accurate albeit slightly cool compared to the classic minolta AF legends. The flare control is only slightly worse than the CZ at 35mm.

There is vignetting on the full frame at 1.4, but its not extreme. I like this lens better on my a850 than I do on the a55 (mostly because the a55 increases the amount of purple fringing on every lens I own.)

If you're in the market for a 35mm 1.4, this is the lens to buy hands down.
reviewer#9865 date: Jan-30-2012
price paid:356 Euro
Contrast
Build quality
negative:Lens hood
Front cap
comment:I was looking for a fullframe 35mm. The G was too expensive imho and I read a few tests, complaining that this lens is even better than most of CaNikons 35mm lenses.
IQ seems to be good sofar - I am still testing. I like manual focus, only negative things sofar are:
lens hood - low quality. front cap does not really seem to fit - it might fall off after some regular use (after some years)...

Will update this review after some serious testing
reviewer#9693 date: Dec-16-2011
negative:CA wide open
Lens hood
Front cap
Weight
comment:I was looking for the best 35mm lens for my APS-C camera's I could find, without needing to pay G- or Zeiss-lens money. With this lens, I found just that!

As an owner of the Samyang 14mm for A-mount, I knew that the Korean company was able to deliver quality optics for a reasonable price. With the 35mm they managed to build a top quality lens for a real good price.

The IQ is great, even wide open. Images are sharp, without vignetting on APS-C and with little distortion. CA is noticable wide-open, but corrected stopped down. Contrast and corner sharpness are excellent stopped down. Corner sharpness was actually my biggest problem with the Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM. The bokeh is debatable. It is not as buttery smooth as the Sigma, but for what I use it (landscapes and architecture) I don't mind.

I prefer manual focussing, even AF lenses. The big ring gives a good grip and operates really smooth, without being too smooth. It's build is pretty solid, although the filterthread is made of plastic. Watch out that you don't turn the filter too tight!

Biggest problem with the lens is it's weight: about 700 grams. Also, I lost the hood and front cap a few times. The screw system for the hood doesn't lock it in place good enough. Nowadays, I tape it to the lens. The front cap will fall off even in your bag, so I tape it too for transport.

All in all, a great lens if you don't mind manual focus and can handle the weight! You should however judge the bokeh for yourself.
reviewer#9692 date: Dec-16-2011
compared to:Sony 35 f1.8
Sony 16-80 Zeiss
Minolta 24 f2.8
price paid:300 € (1 month used)
positive:* Sharp!
* Contrast/Microcontrast
* Build quality
negative:* Big and heavy
* Pure manual focus may limit use
comment:I got this lens because of the good experience with other Samyangs and the offer was good. Good things first - the lens sharpness is excellent and on par with the Samyang 85 f1.4 which makes it one of the sharpest lens I own. It is noticeably sharper at f1.4 and has much better contrast than the Sony 35 f1.8 and as opposite to the Sony there is NO fall off towards the edges. The colour is neutral and there is no vignetting (which was expected on APS-C). Bokeh is smooth and not obstrusive. Focusing is very smooth and I really like the large focus ring. Manual focus is especially on SLTs no problem but it takes it's time. The build quality is excellent and Samyang finally started to produce good lens hoods.
The bad: the lens is large and heavy. If you want to do inconspicuous quick street photography with light equipment then go with the Sony f1.8 or one of the excellent Minolta 35mm.