Samyang 45mm F1.8 AF FE E-mount lens review by nandbytes

Sony FE 55mm f2.8
Sony FE 50mm f1.4
Samyang 50mm f1.4
Sigma ART 50mm f1.4
Many many adapted 50-55mm f1.2 lenses.
Voigtlander 40mm f2 (EF version)
Canon EF 40mm f2.8
Light
Decent AF
Good rendering
negative:AF not silent
comment:I went through a lot of 50mm lenses as you can see, basically every 50mm native option available!!
Also tried a few adapted 40mm lenses.
I didn't get along with the 50s, I really liked 40mm FoV (more so than 35mm) but all the options I tried were too of a compromise.
This is the only 45mm lens I have tried and I got it thinking it'll eventually be replaced by a native small 35mm lens (from Samyang no less).
But having used it I have really come to like this lens, the focal length is also not bad. I know it's very close to 50mm but it's not 50mm and it seems have made a difference to me anyway.
It's sharp is all the right places, in fact for the size, weight and price the performance is magic!
I actually didn't think the build quality was bad. Feels fine to me.
The rendering and colours are nice too. Portraits renders very nicely.
AF is fast and accurate. Not exactly silent but not loud either. In fact many of Sony's own lenses inc. FE50/1.8 are louder than this lens.
Lovely little fast lens with great performance. It's perfectly made for a body like A7C.
Shame about the lack of weather sealing around the mount like the samyang 35/75mm versions. Wish it had that too.