Samyang 8mm F3.5 Asph IF MC Fisheye CS A-mount lens review by MediaArchivist

positive:Good, solid build
Excellent image quality
Low price
negative:Manual
EXIF data missing from shots
Max f/3.5 (2.8 would be nice)
comment:This is an excellent lens. Don't let the all manual operation scare you off, set your camera to A (aperture) mode, and you will be fine. The projection of this lens is stereographic, whereas most fisheye lenses are equisolid. Pictures with this lens have a slightly more even balance in area between the center and edges when compared to other fisheye lenses with similar specs. The Wikipedia article on fisheye lenses has much more detail :)

I have found this lens superb for outdoor landscapes. In particular, a series of portrait oriented images makes stitching a panorama easy. I have made several sets of HDR images which were then stitched together and the results were breathtaking (I have been told).

I have been using the "HD" version, branded as a Samyang, with a removable hood. There is also a "Cine" model with a removable hood, aperture labeled in "T" stop (as opposed to f/stop), and geared control rings. I don't know if the optics for these versions are improved-- but the removable hood means it works on a FF camera! On my a99 I get almost a full circle image, which is, to say the least, pretty cool!

Highly recommended.

(Update: the text of my Dyxum review, verbatim, has been used by Samyang in their printed literature! There is a PDF on their website if you are curious. I could not be happier to help promote this lens, it really is a gem.)