Samyang T-S 24mm F3.5 ED AS UMC A-mount lens review by waldo_posth

reviewer#16328 date: Jul-27-2015
compared to:- Hartblei Super-Rotator F/3.5 45mm (for Mamiya 645, adapted to A-mount)
- Minolta AF F/2.8 24mm
- CZ Distagon F/2.8 21mm (ZF, Leitax adapted)
- CZ Distagon F/2.8 28mm (contax, Leitax adapted)
price paid:GBP 299 (used, mint)
positive:- tilt/shift
- price
- MFD
- IQ
negative:- fiddly T/S mechanism
- prone to some flare
comment:So far the only T/S lens for A-mount. There is always a trade-off between T/S-movements and sharpness, but stopped down to F/8 the lens delivers a good (but not excellent) amount of sharpness - the overall IQ, however, I find to be very good: good colors, excellent center sharpness, nice rendering of contrast and micro-contrast.
Knowing how an excellent T/S-mechanism can be built (I am spoiled by my experience with the Hartblei Super-Rotator) I think that this is the weakest point of the lens - I do not expect this mechanism to have a long life. It's fiddly to work with; you need exceptionally strong baby hands. The knobs for locking and unlocking the mechanisms are a truly inferior solution. But I can live with it, so far - given that there is no alternative.
On the other hand, the lens slows down my process of taking photographs. On a tripod, with ample time to proceed, this is an excellent lens for architecture photography.