Samyang T-S 24mm F3.5 ED AS UMC A-mount lens review by Jozioau

reviewer#45597 date: Oct-4-2020
compared to:I've never used a tilt shift before, so I can only compare it for IQ with my Carl Zeiss wide angle zooms (24-70mm f2.8 and 16-35mm f2.8 Vario-Sonnar lenses) and I'd have to say they deliver superior IQ.
price paid:US$638 new
positive:Very keenly priced full frame tilt/shift a-mount lens with reasonably solid build and controls, and fine optical performance particularly when shut down to smaller apertures. Best used tripod mounted to get precise alignment using the viewfinder grid in architectural photography.
negative:The turn screw locks for both tilt and shift movement are small and fiddly. That being said, I do find them functional and usable. The shift function tends to allow the lens to drop under its own weight until it is locked in position. When shooting in portrait orientation, with the shift at maximum, there is heavy vignetting in the top corners. A bit flare prone if sun hits the front element, but I've fitted a third party lens hood that helps.
comment:As a retired architect with a high interest in architectural photography I was keen to get this lens despite reading some negative comments about the build and controls. Early days as yet, but the photos I've taken so far using the lens as a straight 24mm prime, with shift function for tall architectural images, and with selective tilt focus effect, have all come out well.
I'm particularly happy with the use of the tilt function to shift the depth of focus as a creative tool. Focus peaking makes it easy to preview exactly how far the area of sharp focus extends across the image.
I find the controls and mechanisms practical and functional. I find this fully manual lens easily to use. I set the aperture to what I want, then the shutter speed to suit my image needs, focus manually with the help of focus peaking, and auto ISO does the rest.
As the only Sony mount native tilt/shift available, I'd recommend it to anyone wanting to explore these specialist capabilities with their Alpha cameras.