Sigma 100-300mm F4 EX DG IF APO A-mount lens review by wwjdwithca

reviewer#5565 date: Jun-21-2009
compared to:Kit lens, 24-70mm HSM
positive:Bokah, build quality, filters match my 24-70mm, speed for the $
negative:Speed
comment:I figured it was time to update this review since I've now own another pro quality lens other than this one:

Constant F4 is great for a 100-300mm lens at this one's price point, but personally I find F4 to be too slow if I was going to using it as a professional. I am not, so it's a good amateur lens.

The bokah is smooth and wonderful which makes this camera a terrific portrait lens. This lens combined with my 24-70 makes a very strong pair. I am a fan of the way Sigma makes lenses. I find them to be extremely well built, and heavy duty. So you will not see me complain about the weight. They are made to be carried and abused, not really sure how you get one without the other.

It's focus speed can be very slow when compared to an HSM. I believe all other versions except the Sony version have HSM, which is too bad because the HSM on my 24-70 is very fast and quiet.

Very good lens overall, the question in my mind is whether it's better than a 70-200 F2.8. I kind of go back and for the, so for me there's no obvious winner, and I'm not going to own both.