Sigma 100-300mm F4 EX DG IF APO A-mount lens review by arj

+ fast AF in good light
+ build quality
negative:- heavy
- no focus limiter
comment:Got aware of a deal for this lens via the Dyxum forum and could not resist to buy as this lens was long on my Radar. I do a lot of aviation photography and need a fast long and sharp lens.

This lens does deliver. It is sharp as a razor on the long end, even at F4 I do get great images. Its like a quantum leap in the quality of my photography. I guess that after seeing the quality of the lens I will never again touch the beercan.

There is little negative on this lens. I personally would love to have a focus limiter, simmilar as on the big beercan. The build quality of the lens is great, they dont do tanks like that. But this means the lens is heavy. It is also big, so you will most likely need a new bag to carry it around. But its worth it.

EDIT - After 15 months of extensive use the gears inside the lens have failed. The lens AF would get stuck when at MFD and the focusing ring was clearly getting stuck at some other points. Went for a local repair as I have hidden the receipt before my wife too well and could not find it anymore :-). The guy performing the repair said that the failure is quite common to these lenses due to the gears getting worn out. He replaced the plastic gear which failed with a metalic one, the lens seems to perform now better than when new. Cost of repair at 90 EUR. Reducing thus my rating for build and improoving for sharpness.