Sigma 100-300mm F4 EX DG IF APO A-mount lens review by SChurchill

Reasonably fast AF on A700
AF with 1.4 TC
Good contrast
Great build quality
negative:Hood makes using polariser tricky.
TC data not included in EXIF
Focus limiter would be useful
comment:I got this recently at a bargain price as have some other members. I've had it just over a week and I love this lens.

It is the fastest focussing zoom I have, and the performance difference is huge when compared with my Sigma 135-400. Unlike any of the lenses I'm comparing it to, it does not requiring any stopping down to make it usable.

It is also sharp at the 300mm end of its range unlike the others which all seem to soften in last 25% of their range.

Some people think it's heavy but I do not really consider it a problem when used with my a700 and VG. Probably because its reasonably balanced. Maybe more noticeable if used with my a200 or 505Super.

The only annoying feature as previously stated by others is the failure of the exif to amend aperture and focal length when a sigma apo teleconverter is used. Also the lens type is shown "Minolta AF 100-300mm F4.5-5.6 APO (D) or Sigma Lens"

EDIT: I've lowered the Flare Control score as I've had some difficulties with low sun out of shot creating veiling flare even with hood in place.