Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM A-mount lens reviews

Silent focusing
Effective OS
negative:Heavy
Quite large
comment:Just got this lens for my Sony a77ii. Rather heavy and large but balances nicely on the camera.
Love the OS and find it effective gaining about 2 stops. Did not notice any excessive noise.
Auto focusing is near silent and accurate, maybe a little on the slow side. You can manually fine-tune focusing even in AF mode just by turning the focusing ring.
The focus limiter is a useful addition since the in-camera focus limiter of the a77ii does not function with my Sigma lenses since the distance settings are not communicated between camera and lens.
Optimum sharpness of this lens appears to be when stopped down to f5.6 and beyond.This is not much of a problem with a macro lens since you need to stop down anyways to get any kind of depth of field.
The bokeh of this lens is about as good as it gets which seems to be a trademark of all the Sigma lenses I own.
I highly recommend this lens to anyone that wants to dabble into life size macro photography.
The focal length of 105mm gives you some needed working distance and adding a 1.4x teleconverter gives you even more versatility.

reviewer#29667 date: Aug-23-2016
compared to:Sony 70-300mm G
Tamron SP AF 90 F2.8 Di Macro
Build Quality
Flare
Colour
Quite focusing
negative:Not quite as sharp on the edges wide open (to be expected)
Heavy for the size
comment:Impressed with the build quality on this lens and the sharpness. You do have to stop down to get decent edge sharpness, sharp across the field by f8, centre sharpness is great wide open. Does weight a lot more than the Tamron, but has better build quality and finish than the Tamron SP AF 90 F2.8 Di Macro. I'm sure the new Tamron USD version has improved, but not tested that lens so can't compare. Just love the ping the images have, amazing amount of detail in the centre.
reviewer#18359 date: Sep-26-2015
compared to:Tamron SP AF 90mm F2.8 Di (272E)
Tamron SP AF 60mm F2 Di II LD (IF)(G005)
Sigma 180 APOmm F5.6 UC Macro
price paid:$520 AUD (new)
positive:Optical Stabilization
Build Quality
Excellent bokeh
Very well corrected for CA
True 1:1 macro
Does not extend when focusing
Front of lens does not rotate when focusing
Good set of accessories including lens hood extension for APS-C use
Three position focus range limiter
negative:A bit heavier than some of it's peers
comment:I measured the MTF of all the lenses above using the free and excellent MTF Mapper. The following comments about sharpness are derived both from those measurements and real world use including infinity focus use (as distinct from test chart distance focus).

Sharpness is on a par with the Tamron 60mm macro which is to say it is very good indeed. The Sigma 105 OS is sharper at all apertures than the screw drive Tamron 90mm macro and much sharper than the old Sigma 180 f5.6 macro. The only criticism that could be leveled in this department is that sharpness could be a little better at f2.8 but stopped down to f4 and it is about as sharp as it gets.

Auto focus is quiet, fast and accurate and much better than that of any of the other lenses listed. Manual focus is smooth.

Colours and contrast look vibrant to me.

There is a wee bit of distortion that will rarely be of any consequence.

Out of focus areas are very smooth. IMHO the lens excels in this area.

CA is very well corrected and will seldom be an issue.

All in all, this is a very good lens that is unlikely to disappoint.

reviewer#12011 date: Oct-26-2014
compared to:SONY 100/2,8
price paid:500 $ new
positive:Отличная резкость с открытой. Лучшая на F8 Классные цвета.
negative:Не заметил
comment:OSS позволяет использовать через переходник с новыми камерами А7 А7R A7S. Отличная жанровая универсальность: макро, портрет, репортаж.
reviewer#11962 date: Aug-26-2014
compared to:Minolta AF 50mm F1.4
Sigma DC 18-250 F3.5-6.3 HSM Macro
Minolta AF 70-210 F4 (beercan)
Minolta AF 75-300 F4.5-5.6 (big beercan)
positive:1:1 magnification, true macro. Add a +3 diopter and break into super-macro territory.
Sharpest I've seen.
Colors are wonderful.
Build is very solid.
Near-Zero distortion.
Near-Zero CA.
AF is fast and accurate. Focus limiter options (full, close, far) make it even faster.
OS works great, I prefer OS1 to OS2.
negative:Vignetting on full-frame.
Expensive.
~150mm on APS-C, a bit much for Macro purposes IMO.
comment:I love this lens. This is my favorite at the moment. I use it for portraits of humans and insects alike, and it works wonderfully at both roles.

I prefer it on full-frame to APS-C, no question.

HSM rules. OS rules. Magnification is as it should be. Focus limiter is extremely helpful at accelerating an already quick AF system.

Buy this when you can afford it.
reviewer#11848 date: May-26-2014
compared to:Tamron 90mm 2.8
Colours
negative:APC lens hood adaptor makes it a little long
comment:The images from this lens are supberb, flowers especially, they look just vibrant. Focusing is smooth and accurate. The build quality is great, it really feels well made. On my A77 it is well balanced and looks the part. A really great lens. Recommended.
reviewer#11773 date: Apr-15-2014
compared to:Tamron 70-200 f2.8; a 35-105 Sigma macro lens on a Konica Autoreflex T
positive:Good macro length and close focus range
Works well as a portrait lens
I like the focus-limiting settings
Remarkable detail--when you get the shot
Good balance on a FF body
negative:Focus hunts a lot when in macro mode
Focus gets confused as ambient light drops, but sooner than I thought it would. When that happens it can take a long time for the focus motor to cycle back to an appropriate focus setting. Have missed shots because of this. As a result I typically have it in manual mode for close-up work.
Razor-thin depth of field at larger apertures can make it really difficult to guarantee an in-focus macro shot without advance set-up and a tripod in anything but bright sunlight. My film macro lens is much more forgiving
comment:I like the lens, but even after a couple of months' use, I've not reached a comfort level with it. 95% of the "macro" shots I need I can get with a fast 70-200 zoom, and so I don't yet use it as much as I thought I would. Still willing to blame this on the user rather than the lens--for now.
reviewer#10478 date: Aug-31-2012
price paid:$760
positive:HSM, Internal Focus, Built Quality, sharpness.
negative:None I can think of.
comment:My 1st macro lens. I have NOT tried the SONY/Minolta 100mm, neither the 90mm Tamron. IMO, there is no better macro at that range OVERALL, simply because the HSM and Internal Focusing make the Sigma 105 F2.8 EX DG OS HSM a joy to use. HSM is wonderful, and IF is best thing since sliced bread on a macro lens.

Currently, at $200 cheaper than the SONY (screw drive, Loooong extension at 1:1), I fail to see why someone will chose it over the Sigma. From what I have seen, all choices in this range are as sharp as they can be; the Tamron being a great value for the price. But... you should really consider what more the Sigma 105 F2.8 EX DG OS HSM offers - a no-brainer, again, IMO.

The last pic posted by me on the sample images (the fly) was with AFC, wide AF, and the fly was really moving fast up and down that leg. I really think no other Macro lens would have done it - scratch that, no one in their right mind would think to use any other Macro lens in AFC tracking a subject :)
reviewer#10340 date: Jun-29-2012
compared to:Minolta 100 macro f2.8 RS, Minolta 100f2.0, Minolta 135mm f2.8
price paid:769.00
positive:Buld quality
negative:None
comment:I am surprised to be the first Dyxum member to post a comment on this top of the line Sigma Macro lens. I sold all my Minolta primes that cover this focal length and I later decided I need a newer lens to cover this focal range. I already own the Sigma 50mm EX DG that in my view is superior to all the Minolta or Sony in 50mm macro and this influenced my decision to buy this lens.
I was considering buying either the Sony 135mm STF or the (God forbid) Sony 135mm f1.8 that cost a lot more money, but I am happy and satisfied with my purchase. I just hope it works with the next Sony full frame or whatever they decide to offer.