Sigma 10mm F2.8 Fisheye EX DC HSM A-mount lens review by Atom Ant
|Atom Ant#40958 date: Nov-4-2017|
flare control: 4
|ownership:||I own this lens|
|compared to:||Samyang 8mm fisheye|
|price paid:||$220USD (used)|
|positive:||180 degrees of fisheye fun|
|comment:||Does what it says on the tin. I'm had mine over 1 year & remain happy with it. I cannot imagine a reason to switch to a different A-mount fisheye.|
I'm a fan of the build quality based upon an incident that involved a tiled floor. All good.
Before buying mine I vacillated for ages about the Sigma vs the Samyang 8mm. I have used a borrowed Samyang for a couple of days so I'll lay out my conclusions fwiw.
The Sigma has most of the advantages:
- Auto focus
- And therefore SteadyShot works
- A little faster (F2.8 vs 3.5)
- Tiny minimum focal distance
As well, the Sigma seems higher contrast to me but I could be wrong. I see no difference in sharpness.
On the other hand, it loses to the Samyang in some areas:
- CA. The Sigma has significant CA but, strangely, it seems a lot worse in RAWs processed from DxO than in camera JPEGs. The CA correction in DxO doesn't touch it.
- Price. Yes, the elephant in the room!
So, despite being very happy with my Sigma, I couldn't recommend it over the Samyang.