Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX Aspherical DG A-mount lens review by aleksandr

reviewer#203 date: Nov-4-2005
compared to:Sigma 14mm
positive:WIDE rectilear with very little distortion
negative:Little on the slow side and prone to flaring, though not more than the 14mm, say.
comment:This is a great, BIG, lens which I highly recommend. Did I mention it's BIG? I've not had it for long but chose it over the 14mm sigma for the slight advantage is Wide-ness. It's a very sharp zoom, sharpest between f/11-16 but I usually want to get the most DoF with a wide-angle (this is also why the relative slow-ness of the 12-24 doesn't bother me). Wide open, there's softness at the edges due to shallower DoF, IMHO.

On a digital it gives the equivalent of 18mm with is very nice for interiors and architecture. I haven't run any slide film through my film-body but at 12mm it's probably amazing!
As far as flaring is concerned, listen: it's a wide-angle FF with a softball-sized spherical piece of glass bulging out the front!!! It does flare. A lot when pointed RIGHT AT THE SUN . . . Once you get the hang of it I'm sure that one can begin to predict when flaring will occur (I'm still trying because it's not as strait-forward as one may think!).
I haven't tried either the KM or Tamron 11-18 because the sigma's FF capability is essential to me. For those who don't still shoot film on occasion, or aren't waiting for a FF dSLR the KM/Tamron may be an alright choice as they are marginally smaller.