Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX Aspherical DG A-mount lens review by Kiklop

negative:Hood
Cap
Does not take filter
AF on the wide side
comment:First the bad side .. I wonder who was the person who has decided about the way the hood, front filter and cap will be implemented? Stupid !! Stupid !!
With just a little bit of imagination and efforts Sigma may provided an option to use front filters with this lens. A pity.

As with some other sigma lenses there are (too) many lemons on the market and one should really be careful when purchasing. This is most probably the main reason I wouldn't recommend this lens to everyone: get it only if you have a good exchange policy.
Mine sample is pretty good except for the AF performance on the wide side: it is very unreliable. For me this isn't a big deal because I can either use MF or focus at 24mm and then zoom out (yes this lens is acting as a real parfocal lens)

It's a great lens. Build is excellent .. and a really great sample of EX line of lenses. Focus and zoom rings are stiff enough to provide a nice feel when using them.
Flare and CA is well controlled for such a wide end lens.
Sharpness is very good (especially stopped a bit down) but then again we can't expect the clarity of a 35/1.4 here.

I was considering other wide angle lenses too but have decided to go for this one because two reasons: I hope I will be able to use it on a FF DSLR one day; the range covered is enough to leave my 17-35 lens at home when needed.
**Full frame**
I didn't liked it on a900. Since i have invested in nikon equipment with Nikon 14-24 lens i do have higher expectation on what is possible to expect in this range and this lens wasn't near my expectations.