Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO HSM A-mount lens review by AVLB

compared to:Sony 18-55 SAM II
Konica Minolta DT 18-70
price paid:£350 used
positive:Solid build
Wider and longer than kit lens
negative:MFA required
comment:I bought this (used) to replace the 18-55 SAM II lens that came with my SLT-58. At first, I was really impressed, but some shots were just not quite in focus. I could not understand what I was doing wrong, as I tried smaller apertures to try to overcome the problem, but to no avail.
Purchased an SLT-68 three years later and when I discovered the MFA option in the menu, I checked out the lens. It requires a -2 adjustment, not much, but still enough now to get all shots in focus. Sadly, this means not using it on the 58, but I can live with that. Stays on the 68 most of the time.
It feels like a professional lens and is well suited to the heavier 68. HSM is fast and quiet, so it can be used for video with the internal mic.
Armed with this lens together with a Sigma 10-20 f3.5, plus a Sigma 70-200 f2.8, this covers all options. If I need something bigger the Sony 70-400 can come along too.
Thanks to Sony for including MFA on their entry level APSC a-mount camera, all these lenses work just fine.