Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO HSM A-mount lens review by Snowcat

compared to:Tamron 17-50/2.8
CZ 16-80/3.5-4.5
Olympus 12-60/2.8-4
price paid:~520USD (new)
positive:Sharp if stopped down a bit
Rather sharp wide open
Great bokeh
Good build quality
Can shoot macro
Comfortable size and weight
Fast, silent and accurate AF
negative:It's Sigma, you need to CHOOSE your lens carefully
Some CA at 17mm wide open, not to much tho
comment:I came to Sony from Olympus, where I used a brilliant lens - 12-60. So I began to search for something to replace it.

I tried Tamron 17-50/2.8. Did not liked it. Way too much CA near wide end, 2.8 at 17mm is the weakest point and is nearly unusable for my taste. Sold it.

I tried CZ 16-80 (borrowed it for 2 weeks). Much better then Tamron, but it's a lens that shoots best at long end of the zoom, while I use such lenses more at short end, where it's not that nice. While it costs quite a lot, I'd say too much.

Then I bought this lens. I chose my lens very carefully, Sigma has rather large variations between lens instances... I am VERY happy with mine! At f4 it has perfect picture, and can be used at 2.8 if needed, even w/o postprocessing, it has simply one of the best bokeh I've EVER seen, and I've seen many lenses, it's macro capabilities are useful, can be used at all zooms. AF is accurate, fast, reliable. All in all, a very good lens!

P.S. Works with SLT (I have A55).