Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO HSM A-mount lens review by Adrian Harris

Sigma 10-20.
Voigtlander Apo90.
Panasonic 14-45.
price paid:339 GBP (New)
positive:Fast quiet focusing. Fairly Sharp. Inexpensive for the performance. Well built.
negative:Zoom operates 'backwards' to most lenses. At wide angle setting CA shows clearly.
comment:Okay first the good points: This lens feels beautiful in use on the A77 - except its zoom action is 'backwards' to all my other lenses. It focuses very fast and extremely quietly. It fits snug on the A77. It is bright and also quite sharp throughout and at all apertures. However at extreme wide angle and wide open there is some very slight softness on the border and obvious CA at wide angle settings on the outer quarter of the image when you view at full size - and although it cleans up easily, it is a dissappointment. I think the A77's 24Mp doesn't help here, as it will magnify any slight lens error. Haven't tried it on my A100 yet - and probably never will. Overall, what a bargain for the money.
Please Note: I had to give it a 'color' rating' which to me seems ridiculous in this digital age, especially as any weird colour balance is normally down to the camera making a decision - but it seems fine so I gave it a 4.
...and as regards Flare control, well I haven't noticed any yet! - so I have given that a four also, but this may eventually be a bit premature.