Sigma 18-125mm F3.5-5.6 DC A-mount lens review by NikoB

reviewer#9289 date: Jul-31-2011
compared to:Sony 18-55mm SAM kit, Sigma 8-16mm DC super wide (similar build quality), several Minolta AF lenses (prime and zoom)
positive:The build quality is very sturdy and precise, similar to the very nice Sigma 8-16 DC that I purchased recently. Good sharpness, fast focusing, great color, good range. A hood is included.
negative:Perhaps a bit on the big and heavy side .. at least compared to the lower end Sony lenses.
comment:I am very happy with this lens. It is better than I expected in this price range. Certainly a nice upgrade of the 18-55 SAM lens which did not seem so bad until now. I am not big on pixel peeking but I see good sharpness from end to end. The contrast and color to my eyes are very good. I have not noticed any problems with distortion but I have not shot any buildings or walls where I would notice that. Nice solid build quality. The 18-125mm range seems to cover just about anything I need even though I have lenses that are longer and wider. If I could only take one lens on a vacation trip, this is as good as it gets for my budget. I think this is a great walk around lens for the average photographer.