Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM A-mount lens reviews

reviewer#15266 date: Jun-6-2015
compared to:Sigma 18-200.
positive:HSM, Optical stabilization, Zoom Range, Price in used market.
negative:Bit heavy but paired very well with A77ii body in size and balance.
comment:Mostly used at a family gathering in-doors. Is not getting much use due to newly acquired beer-can. But it will get its fair share in coming days/years. So far so good.
reviewer#12037 date: Nov-22-2014
compared to:Sigma 18-200mm, sony DT 18-70mm f3.5-5.6, Tamron 70-300mm
positive:Solid performing all in one!
Color and IQ easy to work with and compliment other lens (minolta) for events.
Quick focus. Lens stabilization works better than in body and offers flexibility, especially shooting video. Quality construction; quality piece of equipment.
negative:Crazy zoom creep after about 6 months (learned to lock it).
Alternate Zoom Direction.
comment:Purchased this knowing there would be real limitations as all-in-ones don't specialize in any one thing. To my surprise, it stays on my camera often and is a solid performer. Slightly warm colors yet natural, easy to match with other lens during an event where many lens are used. Mine is sharp enough opened up for events/people and is consistent; easy to know what I am getting. At the long end, I can notice a softening of images when shooting wildlife, but post shot sharpening is sufficient. Bokeh is good to very good, once you know it's limitations. I shoot mostly RAW and during workups there are rarely any surprises. Images don't "blow me away" like sometimes other lenses do, but worth every penny if you can pick one up used.
reviewer#11569 date: Dec-30-2013
price paid:230 Euro
Versatile
Fast, quiet focus
Very well built
negative:I can't remember any
comment:This is the most favourite lens I've bought.
I take it with me in a backpack when travelling on bicycle.
At the price it is a much more useful lens than a kit one plus tele.
Very satisfied.
reviewer#11431 date: Nov-4-2013
compared to:Minolta 50mm 1.4
Tokina 19-35
Quantaray 28-80
Sigma 18-250
Tokina 35-200
Sony 35mm 1.8
positive:Well built for a plastic lens
negative:Very heavy!
When zooming to 250mm the front end extends like crazy
Pictures were never sharp
Zoom ring is very tight, no zoom creep though
comment:Soft wide open or stopped down. I didn't get a single sharp picture when I tested this lens. Waste of money.
reviewer#10941 date: Feb-26-2013
compared to:Tamron AF 28-200 F3.8-5.6 Aspherical; Minolta AF 100-300 F4.5-5.6 APO 2631-110; Sony AF DT 18-70 F3.5-5.6 SAL1870
price paid:EUR 299 (new)
positive:Nice range. Beautiful colors.
negative:Not much. Maybe a bit heavy on day trips
comment:Bought this lens for it's range and positive reviews both on Dyxum as well as other consumer reviews. Have to say I'm not disappointed. Not disappointed at all. Fast focus, very sharp and beautiful colors. The only disadvantage that I can imagine is the weight which is relatively high, especially with flash attached.
reviewer#10311 date: Jun-19-2012
Effective OS
Works fine with A77!
negative:Heavy
A little soft above 200mm
Zoom ring is a little stiff
comment:The Sigma 18-250 is an excellent & versatile mega-zoom. It's perfect for general, vacation-type photography, and doubles as a quick & dirty macro lens with its close focus ability and low distortion, even at 250mm.

This is my fastest focusing lens and can even photograph small birds in flight. The HSM focusing motor is quick & nearly silent.

Build quality is very high for a lens in this price range. Due to this & its optical image stabilization (OS), it is a relatively large and heavy lens. The OS is slightly more effective than SSS, but consumes some power and produces a slight focus delay, so I generally switch it off. But it's nice to know that OS is there if I need it.

Sharpness is generally good for a lens of this type, with some fall off above 200mm, especially wide open. There is also the expected CA, but it is generally well controlled.

Lens creep is not a significant problem, and a zoom-lock switch (works at 18mm, only) is included to help prevent it. Although the zoom ring turns in the opposite direction from my other lenses, I had little trouble adjusting to it. The zoom ring is also a little stiff when zooming out, especially if the lens is pointed up. Overall, zoom & focus control is excellent, even without direct manual focus.

[Jan. 2014 update -- On a couple of occasions, I have had a focusing issue with the lens. Once, I grabbed the focus ring by mistake and forced it to turn while in AF mode, thinking it was the zoom ring. Another time, the same thing happened, although I caught myself after turning it only slightly. Obviously, these issues were my fault, and I haven't noticed any general AF problems. And a positive update: Even though my generation of the lens is not certified by Sigma to work on A65 and A77 SLTs, it works fine!]

All-in-all, this is a great lens, and it is the first one I reach for when going out on a "general" shoot.
reviewer#10214 date: May-16-2012
compared to:Sony 16-105
positive:Range
Weight
Cost
Zoom lock
MFD
negative:Flares pretty badly.
comment:I have intentionally overrated this lens. My reasons follow.
It covers 24mm but no one would even think of comparing it to the CZ 24/2. Covers 35mm, 50mm, 85mm etc but you can't compare it to any of the primes. Or a true macro.
The only other lens that I have that can be used for comparison is my 16-105 and it measures up well to that.
This is a classic jack of all trades. It is indeed perfect as a jack! Not a master by any stretch of imagination. Stopped down I have gotten great portraits, landscapes macros etc.
This is a perfect walk around hobby lens. For when you are on vacation, a long hike etc this is perfect.
Yes it is soft wide open especially at the long end. But that is a well know issue for all zooms.
In the end considering the price and range I am very happy with this lens.
***********************************************************
Update: after my initial enthusiasm waned, I have toned down on some of my high ratings for this lens.
One important factor is the lens flare. It flares very badly with a bright light source just outside the frame. It still flares badly with a bright light source well outside!
reviewer#10033 date: Mar-17-2012
positive:Silent AF
Nice Bokeh
Very solid feel
OS very useful for longer focal lengths
negative:Needs a stop or two down to obtain decent sharpness across the frame
AF could be faster
'AF Range' function on A77ii doesn't work properly
Zoom turns the wrong way
'fake' HSM, akin to Sony SAM motors
comment:I bought this a few months back to replace my Sony 18-250 as the screw drive was way too noisy for video. It's a nice lens for the range. The sharpness is comparable to the Sony. It is, however, a little heavier and bulkier but it matches the heft of the a77 nicely.

There are only three things that annoy me - the SAM like HSM motor, the dysfunction with AF-Range on the A77ii and the wrong zoom direction.

All my other zooms twist the other direction so
I still can't get used to the sigma. The fake HSM means I have to use the switch on the lens to get to MF mode whereas I prefer to use te camera body controls for this.

On my A77ii, the AF Range function doesn't work properly - it sort of gets stuck and then the AF 'parks' until AF Range is turned off.

In AF, the focus drive appears to be quicker than the screw drive Sony but the sigma has a habit of occasionally getting near to focus then doing a tiny back/forth shuffle before the focus is confirmed and then finally the camera releases the shutter. So, overall AF speed is the same as the Sony.

One last thing, the sigma shares the same lens ID as my 70-200. The 70-200 needs a minor AF adjustment setting so I have to remember to check the AF micro adjust settings when connecting one of these lenses - a minor annoyance...
One last last thing (!!!). At wide angles, the Sony in-body stabiliser appears more useful than the Sigma OS. Of course, the reverse is true at the long end.
reviewer#9861 date: Jan-30-2012
compared to:Sony 18-55mm/3.5-5.6 (Kit)
Sigma 28-80mm/3.5-5.6
Sigma 70-300mm/4.0-5.6
HSM (quiet and relatively quick)
Versatile
Short MFD
Well made
negative:Heavy
Zoom Creep
comment:An excellent travel lens that quickly made the kit lens unnecessary. HSM works really well. Build quality is good. It is heavy but it also delivers a good feel. The bokeh is surprisingly good.
reviewer#9643 date: Nov-29-2011
compared to:Sony 16-105mm
Sigma 18-200mm
Sony 18-250mm
positive:+ fast and near silent AF
+ effective in-lens OS
+ sharp across the range
+ low distortion
+ solid build and finish
negative:- zoom ring rotates the "wrong" way
- no DMF
- larger than the other options
comment:Great vacation and video lens, low distortion, CA well controlled, long end much better than the other options I've tried. AF is nearly silent, only faint clicking audible in quiet environments with internal mic. AF is also much faster and more accurate than the other 18-2xx options I've tried. Honestly, I never liked super zooms b/c they are too slow (AF and aperture). This one is an exception and a keeper.
reviewer#9641 date: Nov-29-2011
positive:Nice color rendering
negative:Won't work with my NEX-5n + LA-EA1 adaptor (ver.2)
comment:I just get back from the store intended to purchase this lens, sadly it did not go well.

The store salesman was kind enough to let me mount the lens on my NEX-5N + LA-EA1 adaptor. The AF motor worked, but the camera could not lock on fixed focus with the lens.

I tried turned the camera off several times, then unmount then mount the lens again, but the 5n just won't pick fixed focus with it.

Lucky the salesman said that if it did not worked well than I could cancel the purchase.
Fuuuuh. Thank God.
- Build quiality
- HSM
negative:- Zoom creep
- Weight
comment:I decided to purchase this lens in order to replace the two kit lenses that came with my A200 and I'm very pleased with it.

The only issues I find annoying are it's bulkiness and the zoom creep when shooting downwards.
reviewer#9079 date: Jun-3-2011
compared to:Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5
Minolta 75-300 Big Beercan
positive:Sharp across the range
Usable wide open Colours
OS & HSM
negative:Wish it was EX finish
comment:Lovely lens, probably the best of the superzooms
reviewer#8503 date: Jan-10-2011
compared to:Sony DT 18-70mm f3.5-5.6
Sony DT 55-200mm f4-5.6
Tamron 28-75mm f2.8
price paid:2550 MYR (New)
positive:- Wide and versatile focal range
- Sharp at wide-short telephoto zoom range (18-150mm)
- Very good build quality
- Excellent flare control
- HSM (Fast and relatively silent AF performance)
- Able to shoot in a considerable low light
- Good distortion control
- Hood provided
- Zoom lock
- Good macro performance
- Optical stabilizer (OS) good for live view
negative:- Soft at telephoto range(150mm and above)
- Distortion at widest end (Hey, it's a superzoom. What do you expect?)
- Noticeable color abbreviation at most telephoto end (250mm)
- Zoom creep
- Zoom lock too near to AF/MF switch
- Quite expensive
comment:NOTE: If you're looking for an EXCELLENT OPTICAL QUALITY lens, and HAVE 2 OR MORE CAMERAS in your bag, YOU CAN LOOK ELSEWHERE NOW.

For people who have one camera, and are looking for one lens that could do it all, this is one of the best option there is at the moment. You don't have to keep on switch lenses to get the right focal to take picture of that instant, and able to lower the chance to get dust in your sensor.

This is my most used lens on my A350. The range is very versatile and it never fails me. I hate it when I can't get too near or too far to take pictures. This Sigma is my solution.
I've read about the Tamron 18-250mm, but most reviews says that it focuses relatively slow. Since I took a lot of sports pictures, I choose this Sigma instead. It is a 'complete' lens, with wide focal range and fast silent motor. The only thing that it lacks is sharpness (obviously, considering it's focal range), and it is not really a bright lens (f3.5-6.3), so probably need to boost the ISO when using the telephoto range (plus, you need to step the f down to get sharp pictures). However, the IQ of the wide and short-tele focal range of this lens is sharper and better than my 18-70mm kit lens, though it's telephoto performance is quite soft compared to the 55-200mm kit lens.

I don't mind the lens' weight, since it balances nicely with my A350 + grip. It works in low light conditions and cooperate well with my HVL-F58AM external flash. I don't need to use high ISOs. Surprisingly its AF success rate are higher in low light conditions, than the f2.8 28-75mm Tamron probably because of the HSM.

There is distortion at 18mm (its understandable for ultrazoom lens) though it it kind of inconsistent. Sometimes you'll notice it, sometimes you don't. And you'll also notice some awful CA at the furthermost end, so try to avoid using it too often. Zoom creep exist as more the lens is used, so need to be careful. There's a zoom lock switch, but sometimes it can be confused with the AF/MF switch. Flare is controlled well, but I can't comment much since I usually avoid shooting directly to the sun. There's some ghosting on street lights when shooting at night time, even when there is no filter attached.

All in all, this is considered the fastest and the most widest focal range ultrazoom lens at the moment this review is made. I don't think anyone who needs an all-in-one superzoom lens would ever regret buying this lens.

reviewer#8499 date: Jan-8-2011
Low distortion
Good build quality
Effective OS
Very good bokeh
negative:Slightly heavy compared to the competition
comment:This lens has become my most widely used optic on my Sony A700 and now on my Sony A77.
It may not be quite as sharp as equivalent zoom and prime lenses, but the outstanding distortion control and range more than make up for this.
The macro performance is impressive, and the weight balances nicely with the Sony cameras. I just LOVE the optical stabilization when looking through the viewfinder!
After further testing, I have found that this lens is much sharper than I ever expected and the bokeh is very nice.
Sharp throughout the focal length even wide open! This lens is an incredible value as an all-around travel lens.
It focuses even faster on my A77, and I have not had any incompatibility issues so far.
reviewer#8470 date: Jan-3-2011
compared to:Tamron 17-50
Sigma 50-150
Sony 50 1.4
positive:Nearly 14x zoom range
HSM is fast and silent
OS good for video and telephoto
Compact size and weight
negative:Not a fast lens, particularly at telephoto range
Optical aberrations throughout
Barrel extends with zoom
comment:This is the last lens I reach for but is also the last lens I would ever sell.

As an ultrazoom, this lens has many optical issues and needs moderate to bright lighting. BUT it is a jack-of-all-trades lens. I highly recommend it to the beginner as it will give you the experience of working with a wide range of focal lengths. Then as you build out your kit, this lens will always remain to fill in the gaps as needed.

This lens also works wonders as a video lens as the HSM is near silent and the stabilization allows an SLT camera to reach the full 29 minutes of video recording. There may be no better suited lens for video on A-mount at this time.
reviewer#8241 date: Nov-12-2010
Convenient hood that works
Best one-lens solution available
Great OS system
negative:Somewhat heavy
comment:I replaced the Tamron with this lens about 6 months ago and have found it to be superior in every way. I took about 10,000 shots with the Tamron and have taken about 3000 with the Sigma. How is it better? Much faster and more accurate focusing. Better resolution across the frame. Better low light focusing. Silent HSM motor makes it quieter, also. I don't find the weight to be a problem because I also use the Sony 70-300G which is even heavier.

This lens is super sharp from 18-100mm, especially if stopped down 1 stop. Two stops down up to 150mm and you would be hard pressed to find a sharper lens unless it's a prime. From 150-250mm, it gets a little softer at the edges, but the center is still quite acceptable. I turn off the body's SSS and rely on the lens' OS in most situations

The Sony 16-80CZ is sharper all around, but is more expensive and doesn't have the versatility. I use the CZ and Sony 70-300G as a 2 lens kit, but if I want to travel light with only one lens, it's the Sigma 18-250mm. I haven't been dissapointed with it so far and you won't be either.

I've tested more than a hundred A-mount lenses and this is the one that stays on my camera most of the time. I don't understand the low marks from some reviewers in this forum, unless they have a bad copy. If that's the case, send it to Sigma for calibration. They calibrated this lens for me (for free). Don't know if it really needed it, but now I know it's as good as it's going to be.

All in all, I highly recommend the Sigma 18-250mm OS HSM.
reviewer#8239 date: Nov-12-2010
Sigma 100-300mm F/4.5-6.7 DL
Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8
positive:Good build quality.
Sharp as a tack.
Zero distortion at all focal lengths.
Optical Stabilization
AF is very fast and makes no sound at all.
negative:This lens is heavy.
72mm Filters.
comment:This lens is soft on the low focal lengths until 5.6 to 6.3. It is sharp as a tack from 6.3 to 11 across all focal lengths. At the far end, this lens produces no distortion and produces very crisp pictures (with the help of OS when handheld).

The included hood is nice and mounts well to the lens and has a tight fit. It can be reversed for storage on the lens when not in use.

Even though the lens is heavy, it works well on the A330 and balances well until 135mm. At 135mm and up, it gets a little front heavy for me.

The colors are not Minolta but they are pretty close.

Overall this lens is amazing. I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for an excellent all in one lens. This will probably stay on my body most of the time unless I am doing indoor shots which I will switch over to my Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8
reviewer#7611 date: Jun-26-2010
compared to:Tamron 28-300
positive:sharp, fast focus, build, size
negative:can't use DMF
comment:Bought this to replace the tamron. I actually like the bulk and don't mind the weight, for use on my KM7D.

Over much of its range it is sharp wide open, except at 18mm it's sharp from f5 on (max f3.5) and at 50mm it's sharp from f5.6 on (max f5). On the tele end f6.3 is as sharp as f11, edge to edge.

This one will stay on my 7D unless I need to use KM28-75 or beercan for low light or sigma 10-20 for wider focal length.

I was eyeing the tamron 18-250 for a while but never used one. When the sigma came out I had another option, and went for the sigma for the focus speed, the build, and the size despite $100 more than the tamron at the time of purchase.
reviewer#6821 date: Jan-24-2010
compared to:Tamron 18-250mm (2 copies)
Sony 18-250mm
Sigma 18-200mm OS
Sigma 18-125mm
(used 'em all)
price paid:Ł495 (new)
positive:Exceptional freedom from distortion at long focal lengths
Totally flat field for close-ups at 250mm
OS is superior to SS/SSS for longer focal lengths and slower shutter speeds
HSM is fast and silent and follows action well
negative:Large and heavy, 72mm filters
Relatively high cost compare to Tamron 18-250mm, but not to Sony
Zoom lock easily confused with AF/M switch, too close together (bad position)
No DMF (not that sort of HSM)
comment:This lens is actually much sharper at 250mm wide open than the Tamron/Sony; I've used two Sigmas, two Tamrons and one Sony and just can't understand the comments on long end sharpness. It also maintains this sharpness across the focus range right down to an unusually perfect macro setting with zero geometric distortion and a true flat field.

My wife uses this lens on her A700. She's always zooming in too much for the conditions, can never resist people pix, animals and stuff like that - gets drawn to 250mm, and it is nearly always poor light too. Result - Tamron or Sony, 25% failures due to SSS not coping or lens just being a touch soft. Sigma - close to 100% keepers even in impossible conditions.

Initially we kept the Sony, because the Sigma is not as travel-friendly, or indeed as walkaround friendly. But after a couple of trips using the Sigma, the Sony was sold. All that counts is the success rate for critically sharp pix for us (Alamy Quality Control). The Sigma delivers.
reviewer#6347 date: Nov-8-2009
compared to:A100's lens kit 18-70mm f3.5-5.6
price paid:600EUR
positive:Build quality, fast and silent focus, good flare control.
negative:Not very sharp on 250mm, heavy and expensive.
comment:As an all around lens I used to have the Sony 18-70mm f3.5-5.6
on my a100. I wasn't very satisfied and I've decided to buy
a lens that will cover more of my needs. So, I thought that
this lens sould be good enough as it will be on my camera the
most of the time. Furthermore, I didn't want to buy a lens that
after some time will make me think of replacing it with
another one that will do the same things but a little better.

This Sigma lens in my opinion has everything that an amateur, semi-professional would need. Its build quality is excelent, it is very fast and quiet when focusing and has an optical stabilizer. Furthermore, its range (18-250mm) is a range that can cover almost every need, from a nice landscape to a good portrait or closeup photo of an object or animal.

To be more specific:
This lens can perform very well if you want to take some
good lanscape pictures. The colors are very realistic.
I've taken many shots after the sun went down without
monting the camera to a tripod and I was amazed from what
the OS is capable of. With the camera kit I wasn't able to
shot in those circumstaces.

You also can increase the mm and get some very decent portaits
shots. An if you go all the way till the maximum
zoom range you can capture birds and animals or anything
else you want and make it look like it was in front of you.
Perhaps you will need increase the sharpness of those pics
afterwords because in 250mm the pics are not that sharp.

Finaly the weakest point of the lens I think is in indoors
shots with low light conditions. I would recomend an external flash for that kind of situations, otherwise your shots will not be satisfying.

To conclude sigma 18-250mm is a lens that you will enjoy
taking pictures with and will cover most of your everyday
shots. I srongly recommend it as one of the first choices
when thinking of upgrading to a better lens than you camera
kit lens.

reviewer#6331 date: Nov-5-2009
compared to:Sigma 10-20
Tokina ATX 28-70
Minolta 24mm 2.8
Sigma 70-200 HSM Macro
Minolta 100mm 2.8 macro
price paid:L390
positive:Build quality, 18-250 range, hsm quiet/fast motor, optical stabiliser, lens lock
negative:Switches a little fiddly, cannot use optical stabiliser & sony anti shake
comment:I have been disappointed with the build quality of Sony Lenses, especially as Minolta Lenses of old were quality items. I have discovered that the latest Sigma lenses especially those with HSM combine excellent, modern optics, with superb build quality.
I bought this Sigma model as a 'tourist lens'to replace a Sony 18-200 "Plastic; Not fantastic". The flimsy mount of the Sony made it entirely unsuitable for hard use on holiday . The Sigma offers so much more, but costs not much more. The Sigma has greater range-up to 250mm; it uses a super quiet; super fast focusing HSM motor; it has a lens lock ( handy when hanging over the bow of a gondola!); and it has an Optical Stabiliser - a useful,slightly better,option to the Sony body anti-shake switch,
Added to this the Sigma looks and feels more solid and better fitted to the purpose as a leave on; go anywhere lens.Highly recommended.
reviewer#6081 date: Sep-18-2009
compared to:Tamron 18-250
positive:Quick and shy autofocus, good build
negative:bulky and heavy, expensive, 72 mm filters, not sharp at 250mm
comment:This is the first lens with built in stabilization to use with Sony. You can choose between SSS and OS, but who knows what makes using both simultaneously!

I tested this lens on the street before photo shop to compare it with my Tamron 18-250 Di II (low serial number Japan made) - shot after shot in the same conditions. I've turned off SSS in the body for Sigma shots using its OS. At the time I also did some shots in dark place to compare in lens with sensor stabilization, but haven't noticed any difference on Alpha 700. Any stabilization works similar, giving about 3 stops...

I find this lens very, very similar to Tamron's 18-250 - same range, similar distortions ("O" in wide end, "X" in 30-70mm range), same green/purple CA marks in corners at wide and tele end. Built in HSM motor makes Sigma AF speed remarkably faster. Sigma is definitely much heavier and larger lens. I had hope it's sharper than Tamron, which sharpness in 18-135 range is excellent, but 250mm is not that great (well, you can made decent shots at F8/250mm, but any cheap 70-300 can make it better). Sigma seems to be somewhat softer at 250mm from Tamron, F6,3 is soft, F8 is like Tamron at F6,3.

After all I decided not to trade my Tamron for Sigma, as I didn't seen Sigma better in anything but AF speed.