Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG HSM Art A-mount lens reviews

reviewer#45691 date: Apr-19-2021
compared to:Minolta 24-105 D 3.5-4.5
Minolta 35-105 f3.5-4.5 MkI
Minolta 28-135 f4-4.5
positive:Sharp at f4 and at all focal lengths.
Solid build.
Fast and positive AF
negative:Heavy and big.
comment:This is a big and heavy lens, but the results will astound you!
Right from f4, this produces very sharp images across the frame and at all focal lengths. I thought the 35-105 was sharp and it is, but the Sigma just pips it overall.
Very fast and silent autofocus when used with the A99. Colours are as good as Minolta ones and contrast too. The flare control is good with the large petal hood. The only downside is that at 24mm there is a fair bit of distortion, but easily corrected in PP.
reviewer#45646 date: Feb-18-2021
compared to:Sigma 18-50 f/2.8
Minolta 35-105 f/4.5
Tokina 11-17 F/2.8
price paid:300GBP
positive:Fast and quiet focus.
Pleasing, sharp, well coloured images/
negative:Heavy, but not cumbersome.
comment:I bought this lens mostly due to the other positive reviews here on Dyxum. I was looking for an 'every day' lens with good colours and varied focal lengths. I like that its a little bit wide and a little bit tele, a really good range for the photos I take most.
Very impressed with the colours, not poppy like the Tokina or 'romantic' like the Minolta, but bright, clear and well represented.
My reason for buying this lens was to invest a higher proportion of my budget in the lens i would use the most, and to that end I'm extremely satisfied. money very well spent.
reviewer#44505 date: May-1-2020
compared to:nothing to compare
price paid:£415 2nd hand
positive:sharp, colours very natural, very well built, longer range than sony alternatives, quick to focus and quiet.
negative:zoom opposite to what used to so sometimes forget to turn in correct way.
comment:use as my general lens with my tamron 180mm macro and my 70-400Gssm2 as my other lenses.
very pleased with this lens as not many full frame lenses in this range.
Bought 2nd hand boxed as new, looks to have barely been used so good deal.
reviewer#44502 date: Apr-24-2020
compared to:Min. 28-135mm f4-4.5
Min. 28-105mm f3.5-4.5
price paid:$644 US New
positive:Sharp edge to edge. Great depth of field. Colors are very well saturated but are "natural".
Focus is quick and silent.
negative:Zoom is opposite of the usual. Twist left to zoom out. Takes getting used to.
Just a tad heavy but it balances well.
comment:Sigma offered this lens to me at a discount because they could not repair a lens that I had sent in for repair. I wasn't planning to purchase a new lens but couldn't refuse the price. I have no regrets.
On a full frame camera (a99) it is almost the perfect walk around lens.
Shot my nieces' wedding with it. Out of 200+ shots, I missed focus on one and that was my fault, not the lens.
Normally, I would not rate a zoom at 5 for sharpness but this one is in a different class.
reviewer#44147 date: Oct-19-2018
compared to:Minolta 24-105 f/3.5 - 4.5
positive:Very sharp. Quick, silent focus. Well built, smooth focus and zoom functions.
negative:Big and heavy. Only f/4. Significant vignetting wide open, especially at 105mm. Clears up completely by f/8.
Funky OoF highlights. Busy, distracting bokeh when not wide open.
comment:This is such a good lens. I use it as my walk around lens on the a99II. Center sharp wide open, everything sharpens up by 5.6. As noted above, the vignetting wide open is a disappointment in a lens of this class. I actually sent it to Sigma to be checked out. The tech said all is normal.
Comparing to the Minolta 24-015, the Sigma is much sharper and well built, but the Mino is so much easier to carry around! Considering the price, I'm not sure that the Mino wasn't good enough!
reviewer#41970 date: Dec-17-2017
compared to:Tamron F/3.5-6.3 28-300mm Di PZD
Tamron F/3.5-5.6 24-135mm SP
Sigma F/2.8-4.5 24-135mm
Sigma F/3.8-5.6 28-135mm
Tamron F/3.5-4.5 35-135mm tele-macro
price paid:650 Euro (new)
positive:excellent IQ
sharp!
very good colors
only slight distortion and CAs, easily to deal with
solidly built lens body
negative:heavy
82mm filter thread
comment:This lens shows impressive sharpness even wide open on both, the short and the long end. Distortion and CA are slight and easy to handle (lens correction profiles in ACR and LR are now much improved, the first version did not provide acceptable results). It's the perfect walkaround zoom lens for someone who needs more than the usual 70mm at the long end. Colors are very good, the responsiveness of the AF is excellent as well. The lens has a very solid, but heavy body.
reviewer#38901 date: Jul-13-2017
3) Perfect range for full-frame
negative:1) Like other Sigmas tis a bit large
2) Zoom turns opposite of what I expect
3) Some vignetting and distortion at 24 mm, and corner sharpness
comment:This is my new favorite lens. I use it for everything now, and am basically planning to get rid of all my other lenses.

Probably not, just kidding. But it's just about perfect; landscapes, walking around, portraits, light telephoto action. Yes it's f/4 so you don't get super shallow DoF, but it's very sharp at f/4 in the center so you can still get some good DoF. The bokeh is nice; not bad, not great. When I wanted a little more reach, I flipped the a99 over to the telephoto zoom mode and the images came out great.

Autofocus is quick, and fairly quiet, although during video testing I noticed the camera picked up the noise it makes when it finds focus and comes to a somewhat hard stop. But that's mostly my fault for trying to use autofocus during video. :-)

It's heavy, and it's physically wide. It looks silly when I hook it up to my a6500, not so much on a77ii or a99, but it's still much bigger than other lenses I have used except the Sigma 50 non-art.

I've noticed vignetting at wider focal lengths, especially in lower light, and the corners never really sharpen up completely. But for the price I paid, and the overall utility and central sharpness, this lens can't be beat.
reviewer#35782 date: Mar-1-2017
compared to:Zeiss 24-70 II
Minolta 28-135 (secret handshake)
Zeiss 85 1.4
price paid:$900
positive:1) Excellent central sharpness wide-open, and overall sharper than the Zeiss 2470 if both are shot wide open (admittedly the Zeiss is a full stop faster).
2) Decent sharpness in borders and corners, particularly if you stop down to f5.6 and above.
3) Decent control over chromatic aberration
4) Superbly flexible optic 4.4 times zoom ratio
5) Doesn't get notably softer as you zoom out to the long end – a little bit softer but way better than average compared to many other zooms.
6) An amazing value at $900 – nothing even comes close in terms of full frame walk around optics. It drop kicks even value brands like Tamron, where their 24-70 2.8 SP goes for $1300.
7) USB dock allows you to get MFA really nicely tuned in at multiple focal lengths.
8) Saves 100 g of weight over the Zeiss 2470.
negative:1) Even stopped down, corners don't ever approach its excellent central sharpness – a minor nitpick. And not unexpected.
2) Average bokeh – not bad for four times zoom.
3) Nothing else to speak of.
comment:The best walkaround full frame zoom for your Alpha mount, if price is considered. Tied with the much more expensive Zeiss in overall sharpness (better at some worse at other FL), but sharper than the CZ, if both are compared wide open (of course the CZ is a full stop faster as a tradeoff). Lighter, way cheaper, but giving up a stop, and perhaps a bit of bokeh, if both are short at the long end (70mm for the CZ, 105mm for the Sigma). Better control of CA than the CZ at the wide end, about equal at 40-70mm.

Although some will potentially complain about the lack of access to hybrid autofocus, this is a nonissue for me, as I shoot mostly in expand flexible spot. Excellent AF performance including tracking, where it actually tracks better on a moving vehicle than the Sony G2.