Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DF A-mount lens reviews

reviewer#10233 date: May-24-2012
compared to:I have the Sigma 20/1.8, 30 1/4 aps/c and the minolta 50/1.7/1.4, the 28-135 and the 35-105, and had the 28-70mm 2.8 G
positive:It's cheap, it focus at a decent speed (though not fast) and is accurate and predictable at all apertures and focal lengths. As good as anything and 10 times as good as the price I paid. love the focal length on FF.
negative:Corners are soft and must have mount upgraded to work on SLT's (but Sigma's been good about repair at no cost) contrast to sharpness doesn't seem right- lens has tons of contrast and kind of makes me expect macro prime sharpness but of course isn't that sharp...makes for good portraits that way though...
comment:I love this lens. I've had great luck with my Sigma buys and this one will be on my a900 a ton. I think its as good as you can expect of any zoom with this range and this fast. It just provides the perfect balance that you want from a middle zoom...sharp enough, correctable distortion, good color, and is consistent.

The bokeh kind of smears in the corners and could be nicer. Sharpness is better than my G glass was and there's no haze issues wide open in bright light. I expected that to be this piece's downfall due to age and I imagine that it isn't veiled is also why its macro contrasty. It's certainly not macro sharp though... but perfectly usable (printable at 100%) wide open and all apertures.

I haven't tested flare yet- but I think folks like Kurt Munger get a little fussy about flare- all zooms do weird stuff w/ flare- just different stuff that may or may not be to your liking. use flags if you want zero flare issues?

I'd pay twice what I paid for this if I knew I'd get the kind of performance I got out of this...

glad- grateful even- to own it and it alleviated my obsession for the zeiss piece of the same range.
reviewer#9440 date: Sep-21-2011
compared to:Sony 18-70
Tamron 18-250
Tokina ATX PRO 28-70 2,8
price paid:500 SEK
Poor build quality
Filter size
Not very wide on APS-C
comment:I bought this lens for 500 SEK (less than 100 USD or 60 EUR). Couldn't resist such a bargain and I wanted a fast zoom lens, though I am very happy with my Tamron 18-250.

I didn't think too much of it before buying it, considering the relatively low ratings on this site.

BUT it is such a surprise. The bokeh is absolutely fabulous, haven't seen anything like it before. Caould be a perfect portrait lens?
It is very very sharp, already from f2,8.
It is heavy but I don't mind really.
Yes, it would be good if it was wider, but should I need that, I can use the Tamron.

It has a slight back focus on short focus distances, but in normal use, it seems to be perfect on my A500.

The reason for it being so cheap was that it had to be adjusted before it could be used on my A500, which was done at no cost by Tura Scandinavia.
I am afraid the autofocus mechanism could prove to be quite weak, like many other Sigma lenses. But so far, no problem.
reviewer#8182 date: Nov-4-2010
price paid:about 430 new
positive:Opens wide to 2.8
Very Sharp
negative:Heavy
comment:I have had this lense for about four or five years now and I have nothing but positive things to say about it. I have not compared it to the Zeiss equivalent, but this is about 1/4th the cost brand new, so that might be an unfair comparison. The lense may be getting a bit dated too, as there have been advances such as HSM.

I have been very impressed with the sharpness. The colors have not been as pleasing or vibrant as my older minolta lenses, but they seem to be true to the scene. I do not often use auto focus, so I can't really comment on the speed or accuracy of focus. I have rarely had any problem with flare control and have never noticed any softness in the corners when wide open. However, most of my photography is with landscapes, so it might not be as noticeable.

In all, I would recommend this lense to anyone who wants a quality lense with good range (for landscape) and a wide apperature.
reviewer#8178 date: Nov-4-2010
price paid:300 like new
positive:Solid
f2.8
Value
negative:Weird colors + softness wide open
82mm filter diameter
Silly AF/MF clutch
comment:This lens is a fantastic value for the price. You get a quality walkaround f2.8 zoom for only ~$300. However, this behemoth is barely usable wide open, as the colors are often washed out (maybe this is just my copy...) and the image is very slightly soft. The 82mm front filter diameter seems excessive, as there is a wide (~1cm) bezel around the front element. Aside from these relatively minor gripes, this lens is an excellent buy if you're fine with the excessively large build.
reviewer#6063 date: Sep-16-2009
- constant f/2.8
- 24mm WA
negative:- not quite sharp at f/2.8
- feels more plastic than its EX DG equivalent
comment:did not have a chance to test it for flare. it would be interesting to see how this lens performs on a full-frame DSLR, comparing with the more modern Sigmas (e.g. 24-70/2.8 EX DG Macro & IF EX DG HSM)
reviewer#3392 date: Mar-22-2008
price paid:200 euros (used)
positive:it works PROPERLY with sony alpha bodies.
sharp
solid
negative:huge and heavy (but personally i don't mind it)
comment:For a long time i wanted to buy a good and not as expensive as minolta G series versatile wide constant aperture lens. i tried sigma 28-70mm f2.8, Tamron 28-75 f2,8 and finally this one. before buying lenses i spent hours reading different reviews and finally i was dissapointed with third parties' performances (mainly because of back focus problems on my sony bodies). and what i can say about this lens - for the first time i was happy with what i had.
yes it's true it is not as sharp as G series lenses, but it's STILL SHARP through 24-50 range with wide aperture and QUITE SHARP from 50mm to 70mm. this lens doesn't have any front or back focusing problems. it's really NICE (without being outstanding).
Yes, people complain quite often about it's size and weight, personally i don't mind.

oh yeah i forgot a very important detail about this lens!!!!

it couldn't be recognised by my ALPHA 700 (no lens error message) until i tried it with a 5-contact-points teleconvertor. it worked with the teleconverter mounted on the body so i guessed to stick a piece of scoth on three contact points of the lens which weren't used in contact with the teleconvertor (i hope it's clear, sorry for my english). And since then my lens works properly as it has to.
reviewer#3194 date: Jan-19-2008
compared to:Any other lens!
price paid:260 EUR (used)
positive:
negative:Sharpness
Focus
HUGE (to the point where it scares people)
82mm filter
comment:I must have had a bad one, but the sharpness was just horrible. This is like night and day when you compare it to the CZ 16-80 !!!

Also, the focus was almost always off, which is crucial at such small apertures.

Sent it to Sigma, took them almost 3 months (!!!) to "fix" it (recalibrate it), but it was only marginally better. Still horrible front focus :(

Selling it on eBay soon.
reviewer#2690 date: Sep-3-2007
compared to:cz24-70, 18-70 kit lens. min 50/1.7, 85/1.4. sigma 20 1.8
positive:Very versatile range. Sharp enough to use at 2.8 at the wide end. Solid build.
negative:Heavy, big. Colors not quite like minolta lenses. Not quite as sharp at 70
comment:If you can deal with the weight and need the versatility of this range, this is the only solution other than the more expensive sony 24-70. Great for weddings/ group gatherings where you need to be able to quickly go from portraits to group shots. Sharpness is very good (but not as good as primes) assuming you get a good sample. The CZ is on a whole other level in terms of sharpness and contrast, but still decently sharp.
reviewer#2562 date: Jul-18-2007
compared to:Kit lens
28mm 2.8
50mm 1.7
price paid:245USD(like new)
positive:Nice range Full frame
constant 2.8

Soft at 2.8
comment: Like constant 2.8 a lot. My is soft at 2.8 but sharpens up nicely at 3.5
reviewer#2523 date: Jul-7-2007
compared to:Minolta 24-105 f3.5-4.5 D
Sigma 24-70 EF f2.8
positive:Constant fast aperture f2.8
Wide end is 24mm
Good resolution and distortion control.
negative:Quite bulky
Complex cam arrangement
VERY slightly soft at f2.8
comment:This Sigma zoom is unique in the constant aperture f2.8 zoom range as at the wide end it is 24mm, offering considerably more angular coverage than a typical 28-70mm zoom.

Sharpness is generally very good to excellent when stopped down, as is centre to edge sharpness on full frame. Wide open corner sharpness suffers, as expected. Whilst some may criticise the lens for this, it is purely a function of the width and the complexity of design in a constant aperture zoom lens such as this. The necessaity of design for this type of lens is far more optically complex than a relatively simple medium to long tele zoom (e.g. 80-200 f2.8). Overall, I would rate sharpness as very good to very good "plus".

Focusing is accurate and fairly quick - lenses such as this tend to suffer in AF speed as the bulk of the glass elements that need to be moved during focusing require a lower gearing in the AF drive than lighter weight designs. Manual focus is achieved using the now typical Sigma EX focus ring which must be pulled to engage the MF drive. Close focusing on full frame is around 1:4 so reasonably close ups are possible.

The lens is quite bulky, flaring out alot from the mount with a typical Sigma over-mounted front element - the filter size is 82mm, whilst the front glass is probably about 67mm. It has an apparently quite complex cam design for zooming, the front and rear elements moving both in and out during the zoom from one end of the focal length range to the other. There is a point in the design where obviously one of the internal cams is having to reverse direction which causes some resistance in the zoom ring, and it becomes noticably "heavier" to turn through this point. Also, the zoom ring is quite close to the body, and I sometimes found it slightly hard to grasp, or I caught my knuckles on it.

It is finished in the slightly older Sigma EX matte black finish with a slight gold fleck. Although it appears well made, I find the finish tends to mark quite easily. (The newer EX series have a totally matte black finish). The petal lens hood and hard fabric case are included in the price. Overall construction would rate as at least very good.

Colour is good, fairly neutral with just the slightest hint of warmth, typical of multi-element complex zoom lens design. Contrast was high, possibly slightly too high for my taste where high contrast lens design can often lead to slightly burnt out highlights and lack of shadow detail. Overall, colour and contrast were very good.

Distortion is surprisingly well controlled for a zoom lens offering a combination of 24mm and a constant f2.8 aperture. (Lens design requires compromises between maximum aperture, distortion, resolution and physical size. A higher maximum aperture in a zoom lens will often tend to increase rectalinear distortion, which the designers must then work harder to correct using ever more expensive optical construction, such as additional lens elements or aspheric surfaces. Zoom lenses are harder to correct than primes as the distortions in the lens are moving around during zooming, whilst in a prime lens they are fixed and therefore easier to correct). Overall, this Sigma is surprisingly well corrected for its range, though some barrel distortion is evident at the wide end.

Flare control seems good. I never experienced any particular problem with flare. Very good.

Overall, a very good lens.

reviewer#2501 date: Jul-1-2007
compared to:Have not made a side by side test with my 28-70G yet, so this is more from memory.
positive:Range, Good MF feel.
Good close focus
negative:Flare, AF/MF clutch is just stupid. 82mm filter, little stiff zoom-ring
comment:I like this lens, good build, better then KM 28-75/2.8 but not near 28-70G class.
AF is fast, not super fast.
Useble at f/2.8, bokeh looks good, need to shot more befor I really can say.
MF-feel is great, better then 28-70G, KM28-75 and tokina 28-70/2.8.
Down side is the really stupid AF/MF clutch, I use the AF/MF button on my 7D alot, with this lens I have to move the focus-ring in MF position to achive MF and back again befor going back to AF, or things can go bad!
Flare is a problem, from memory I think that KM28-75, Tokina28-70 and 28-70G is better on flare controll.
reviewer#1604 date: Jan-2-2007
compared to:50mm 1.7
50mm 2.8 macro
70-210mm f/4 beercan
price paid:200 usd used
positive:Excellent optics, very good range for a digital sensor, constant 2.8 is very nice. No rotation of front element due to focusing.
negative:Biggish to some. Zoom creep because of weight, zoom ring is small for how big of a lens it is and can be stiff, shadow cast when using the pop up flash and it not clearing the lens
comment:This is one of the nicest lenses I own, it has a great range, Excellent optics, fast, and I did not pay too much for it. Sharpness I gave a 4.5 too because it is not as tack sharp as my 50mm 2.8 macro, however I would say the sharpness is on par with the beercan, even at 2.8, very very sharp wide open, a bit sharper stopped down, however I find myself stopping down to control DOF, not sharpness, at 2.8 it is terrific. Bokeh on this lens is great, almost as good as my 2.8 macro and beercan.

The reason I gave it only a 3 on build quality is listed above. Zoom is stiff some times, and honestly too small for how large of a lens this is, it zoom creeps, and also it does bug me that you get a shadow cast at wide open when using the pop up flash. However, these small issues are eclipsed by the optical quality in my opinion.

Also, to clear something up, between this lens and the DG version, there is very little difference. They changed the grip and the name on the lens, and that is about it. The DF is the older model, and is not listed as a macro, however it has the exact same macro abilities as the DG macro.

Also, Sigma told me that some of these lenses do not work with the 5d, not sure about the 7d, you will get a "No lens attached" error, this happened to mine. However, sigma will rechip it for free and send it back fairly quickly. I sent mine off and got it back within a week.
reviewer#506 date: Feb-16-2006
positive:Afforable & give sharp pictures. Huge and solid, built last. The DF series can macro focus exactly like th DG, Sigma just change the packaging and wordings from DF to Dg thats all
negative:- flare -tend to have a warm colour cast -picture sharp but not very saturated. -82mm lens filter expensive -lens mounted on my canon 300D obstructs built in flash. Bottom centre has bad light falloff.
comment: