Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro A-mount lens review by shinka

Looks good
negative:Big (blocks flash)
Heavy
Filter size (82mm)
comment:I've been working on buying only fast glass from now on, though that's difficult with an amateur's budget. Fortunately, I got rather lucky with this one. I originally purchased the 24-60 EX DG for $219 on Amazon but it had a back focus problem so I sent it to Sigma for repair. They couldn't repair it and replaced it with this lens at no extra charge. That being said, I still think this lens is a good deal for what you can find online (~$500).

It's very solidly built, more so than even the other Sigma EX lenses I've owned. The zoom ring is a bit tight, but not annoyingly so. I find the big focus ring useful, though it's slightly annoying to have to slide the ring between AF and MF positions.

I've been very happy with the image quality so far. It's not overly sharp wide-open at either end (I always back off from 70mm if I'm wide-open), but stopped-down it's great. Not as sharp as my 50mm prime, but pretty good for a zoom.

Autofocus seems great. Fast and accurate. No BF or FF issues. Flare control actually seems pretty good for such a wide opening (82mm diameter). Hasn't been a problem yet. And I really like the range of this lens.

I really haven't used it much in low-light yet, but I'll update the review once I do.