Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro A-mount lens review by mikey2000

compared to:SAL18250
Sony 50/1.4
price paid:GBP280 new
positive:Great IQ
Pretty good in low light
negative:Huge
Zoom creep
Odd ergonomics
Massive filter size
comment:I use this lens a lot. I love the constant F2.8 and the 24mm wide end is wide enough for most cases.

I wish this was a DT style lens as opposes to a full frame lens. Perhaps that would reduce the sheer bulk of it. People frequently comment on my "scary lens" and are a little intimidated by it. I also had to pay quite a bit for a UV filter to protect the front element. All of this doesn't stop is producing great results though.
Update: I am coming to enjoy the bulk of the lens a little more. It feels great to handle.

The f2.8 seems to allow easier low light AF. One day when I have an A700, I'm sure the AF will take more advantage of this.
Update: On my A700, the AF does seem quite sure footed. Any errors I get I can most likely attribute to my technique. 70mm/f2.8 at 2-3 metres is a pretty shallow DOF...

The ergonmics are a little strange - the focus ring and zoom ring sizes really need to be swapped around. The zoom ring is close to the camera body and a little fiddly to reach. The focus ring is massive and it would be much better if sigma could somehow the zoom ring larger than the focus ring. Also, switching to MF involves setting the switch on the camera then shifting the focus ring. This is cumbersome at best but I suppose sigma need to have a consistent design across the various mount types.....

Flare: In bright sunlight conditions, if the light is anywhere to your front, even if out of the frame, the contrast is greatly reduced at wide apertures. Is this what they call veiling haze?

CA: it's possible to find CA on images produced by this lens. No big deal as LR can adjust for this with little trouble.

Overall, this lens is a definite keeper.

UPDATE:
I sent it back to Sigma after finding it produced soft corners (on aps-c!!). After many months and returns to cure focus issues induced by the repair, I am now very happy. Still a little bit of Front Focus at 70mm/2.8 but otherwise most impressive. Still not quite as sharp as my Sony 50/1.4 at comparable apertures, but then again, it's a zoom!