Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro A-mount lens reviews

reviewer#44427 date: Nov-17-2019
compared to:Sigma 24-135
Tokina 28-70
price paid:€ 200,-
positive:The familiair EX looks, feel and quality. Well balanced on the A900 with grip.
negative:Had to clean the rubber grip for zoom and focussing first, so what...
More important:
The purple and green in the corners.
Sharpness at f/2,8 is a bit weak in the corners.
Bulky with 82mm filters
comment:Not my top-notch lens but a fine companion for many occasions.
reviewer#10380 date: Jul-15-2012
compared to:min 28-105
min 28-85
price paid:350 usd
positive:Focus ring is very easy to hold and slides to disengage ring. 82mm filters it looks good!
negative:zoom is very tight on one end. The gears are weak and expensive to repair. 82mm filters expensive
comment:I like the extra on the the wide end and I'd like more on the long. I've got a Tamron 24-135 on the way.

Be alert the gears in this and alot of other Sigma's could be better. I bought mine with stripped gears I knew it when it was bought, but now repaired and going well. I use this lens outside mainly, and if used inside I bump the iso up to 400. You'll use this one alot, many better times better than modern kit lenses.

One funny note a woman looked at my gigantic lens and assumed I was a pro and started asking for advise. lol

Update I just bought a A850, this lens comes to life with FF it's now useable indoors. I'm sure there is better but it'll take more money to top it.
reviewer#9450 date: Sep-26-2011
price paid:29800 JPY (new)
positive:Good zooming range from 24mm.
Good weight balance with A900.
Not excellent but enough good sharpness in the center.
negative:Sometimes has a focusing problem especially in macro range.
Aberration on the corners. (almost terrible.)
Sometimes it appears flare on highlight edge even under the direct light and it spoils own sharpness.
comment:Not so good lens for A900. I don't recommend this lens for high-amateurs using full-framed DSLR. I'm disappointed with aberration on the corners in the wide range. If you try to take artificial objects - buildings, bridges or so, you can get enough good pictures but once you take trees or forest, I can imagine your face when you watch pictures on your PC.
But according to current price of this lens, it can be one of the options if you can't buy the blue-logo lens.
reviewer#9234 date: Jul-14-2011
Good build
Good focusing speed
Good sharpness on APS-C
negative:Yellow and dull colors
Corner sharpness is very bad on FF
comment:On APS-C, the Sigma 24-70 F2.8 EX DG Macro is an excellent performer. F2.8 is certainly usable and sharp from F4 and beyond.

Focusing is fairly quick and build quality is good to very good. This lens is a good choice if you are considering a constant F2.8 zoom on the cheap for APS-C and require more reach than the ubiquitous Tamron 17-50 F2.8

Now for the bad.

On Full Frame, this lens shows its true colors (very dull, pun intended). Corner sharpness is very very bad and also suffers from heavy CA. The redeeming fact is that F4 in the center of the frame is still quite good but the edges are the exact opposite. Despite this critique, I still gave the sharpness rating a 4.5/5 because I believe this lens was intended for APS-C only under the generalization that FF users would be using high quality, more expensive lenses.

On both APS-C and FF, I would like to also comment on the color. They are, sadly, very dull and yellowish, especially at F2.8 where contrast is lacking. I used to think that the widely discussed relationship between lenses and image colors were overblown, until I used this lens.

In conclusion, I would highly recommend this lens for APS-C. Full frame users stay far far away.
reviewer#9057 date: May-26-2011
price paid:569.00
positive:Bright lens with nice range especially with macro capabilities
negative:large filter size
comment:After reading reviews about build quality and consistency I was almost afraid to buy the lens. No more. I've been very pleased with its sharpness and overall performance. It's been criticized for being heavy, but it's not bad at all compared to others with similar specs.

It seems solid and after a few weeks I'm convinced I have an excellent lens for an exceptionally good price.
reviewer#7116 date: Mar-18-2010
compared to:Sony 18-70mm
price paid:280 (Used)
positive:Solid Build
EX finish
F2.8
negative:Hood is small, can't block some light at times
82mm filter
comment:Bought this after the kit lens and wow wat a difference. I love the solid feel and the EX finish. For me the finish doesn't get dirty that easily as some other reviews claim. I also find the push/pull system to be quite nice though I have not used other ones. The push/pull system with the AF/MF button on the A700 is good, not much problem swiching from AF to MF.
I do find the lens hood not blocking some light at times. The F2.8 is great. Auto focus speed is ok as I was able to capture some decent shoots of indoor sports.
Overall this is a fun lens and defenately great for the price.
reviewer#6878 date: Feb-6-2010
compared to:sony A200 kit lens, minolta 50mm 1.7
price paid:4000 NOK
positive:the push/pull choke on AF/MF is exellent.
heavy som helps stabilize kamera when holding
negative:little heavy, its a must to use two hands and excerzie reagularly :D

you can not use the onbord flash (at least not the A200 flash) unless you are between 50 and 70 on the zoom unless you want bottom shadow.
comment:It really gets attention from people and you pass for a pro in most circles when you get this lens on the camera even when it only is A200 your shooting with.
reviewer#6684 date: Jan-5-2010
compared to:Minolta 28-75mm f/2.8 D
price paid:425 USD new
positive:Very sharp at 24mm f/2.8. Good overall image quality. Very solid build. 24mm is reasonably wide on a crop-sensor camera.
negative:Soft at 70mm f/2.8. Very heavy for a walkaround lens. Though rare, this lens produces some unusual ghost-like flare. Images have a yellow tint to them.
comment:This was my standard walkaround lens before I found a new-in-box Minolta 28-75mm f/2.8 collecting dust at a local camera shop. I liked the focal length on my a700 - though a bit more narrow than, say, a 17-50mm lens, I never had to worry about wide-angle distortion. Even better, this lens was very sharp at 24mm, so my widest shots looked great even at f/2.8.

On the downside, this lens is soft at 70mm. Stop down to f/4 for comparable sharpness to 24mm f/2.8. This lens is very heavy, so be aware of that if you will be shooting by hand for a long period of time. As with other Sigma lenses, colors look somewhat yellow. Flare is generally well-controlled (especially when you use the hood), but when it does appear, it tends to make your images look ghost-like or cloudy - a very unusual and unnatural effect. The few times this happened, the shot was ruined. If you don't shoot into strong light sources, the problem is essentially nonexistent.
reviewer#6451 date: Nov-24-2009
compared to:Tamron 28-75 2.8
Sony 50 1.8
Zeiss 135 1.8
price paid:300USD (used)
positive:-Constant 2.8
-Very very solid build (you could kill a moose if you hit it with this lens)
-Crazy sharp at 50mm
negative:-Friggin' huge
-People get uncomfortable when you put this lens in their face
-AF is loud
-Contrast could be better
-Sharpness up and down between 24 and 70.
-Huge element prone to flare (hood is teeny tiny)
-Not a huge fan of Sigma AF/MF clutch, but it works.
comment:I had this lens for a while, and when it was all said and done, I decided to go in another direction.

I did LIKE it, I just didn't LOVE it. I got it for a pretty fair price, so it was worth the experiment for me.

Sharpness was a bit inconsistent through the zoom range, and contrast was a little underwhelming at max aperture.

Build is very very good, though be prepared. . . she's a real beast of a lens haha. 82mm filters are pricey as well.

24mm is a significant advantage over Tamron's 28mm if you don't have a wider alternative. I prefer Tamron's color rendition, though in sharpness they are very very similar (I had both for a short time)
reviewer#6412 date: Nov-19-2009
price paid:+/-475€ (?) new
positive:- Low price
- Well controlled flare
- Good at f/5.6
- Quick and accurate AF
- Good on APS-C sensor
negative:- the Full Frame Sony 25MP sensor is pitiless with this lens...
- colors warm, perhaps a little bit yellowish...
- "bubble and squeak" in the corners at 24mm (on 25mp sensor)
- Distortion at 24 and 70mm (on 25mp sensor).
- Chromatic aberration at 24mm and any aperture in the corners (on 25mp sensor).
- perpexled about the built...
comment:Cheap... Interesting lens if you're working in unsafe place with an A 850 or 900 camera. You can lose it or break it. Or being robbed. You will not cry ! I use it for quick reporting only. I can't wait for the Sony Zeiss 24-70 f/2.8! All the defaulfts (except the colors) of this lens are not visible on APS-C sensors.
reviewer#5566 date: Jun-21-2009
sigma 400mm 5.6
price paid:$450 usd
positive:Very good color
great IQ for the money
Great focusing, very little hunting.
negative:Filter size
Lens has become loose(see below)
Heavy
comment:This lens is great for what it is, a lower cost fast zoom lens. It hands down blows the kit lens out of the water. IQ is very good not as good as the 200mm G lens but getting close. I have been very happy with this lens, the only complaint is that the focusing ring was very tight new and has loosened alot. It has loosened to the point that when zoomed out to 24mm and lowered it seems to lock at 24mm. I have to angle the lens up a little to get it to release. Thinking about sending it back for repair.
reviewer#5120 date: Mar-29-2009
compared to:Older Sigma 28- 70 f2.8 non-ex
price paid:Ł400
positive:Not much
negative:Focus focus focus
comment:As soon as I bought this lens the quality of my pictures took a nosedive. It was generally very very soft although did manage to produce the occasional average quality shot.

Replaced it with a Zeiss 24- 70 and all I can say is Wow!!
reviewer#4969 date: Mar-6-2009
compared to:Minolta 50 1.7
Sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM
Sigma 105 2.8
Various other Sony/Minolta lenses
price paid:419USD
positive:Very sharp at all focal lengths and apretures.
Built like a tank.
Good range
negative:Filter diameter!
comment:Like others here, I bought this lens based on the great reviews in this forum. I was not disappointed! I love this lens. I must have gotten a good copy, becuse I have found it focuses fast and accuratly. This lens is very, very sharp at all focal lengths, even wide open, if focused with care. Build is very well done, everything is solid as a rock. The zoom is a bit stiff, but I don't mind. The only negative I have is the huge (82mm) filter diameter. I'm not sure why the lens has to have such a large diameter. Filters are $$$$! Others have "complained" about the focus noise. Is it SSM (HSM) quite? No. Is it loud? I don't think so. All in all, I would highly recommend this lens!
reviewer#4883 date: Feb-19-2009
compared to:Carl Zeiss 24-70 f2.8
price paid:$389. USD
positive:sharp
Colors are very vibrant
Built tough
Great Bokeh
negative:Had to go through a couple before getting a good copy
comment:I was originally going to buy the Zeiss 24-70 but Could not justify paying the price. after many many comparisons I seen that this lens could defiantly keep up with the Ziess . My first impressions were not good at all! the first copy I received had a serious problem catching focus. and it wasn't constant either It would either FF and sometimes BF but only locked right about 20% of the time. The second copy I received was outstanding!!! Perfect bokeh! (nicer than the Zeiss!) colors not Minolta quality but very close! Sharpness is just as good as the zeiss (if not better) But my copy loses some sharpness from 35mm to 24mm but it's nothing to worry about unless you blow it up and pixel peep.
Over all This lens is well worth the money Especially if you can't dish out the money for the Zeiss! If your not pressed for time and can handle going through a few copies when you get a good one It's worth all the hassle! another thing is everyone cries about the weight of this lens, But honestly it's almost half the weight of the Zeiss! So I can't see what all the complaining is about. and the filter size? Ummm.. you paid how much less for this lens than the Zeiss? Ans yet with all that savings you cry about a extra $50 for the difference in filter price.
reviewer#4553 date: Dec-16-2008
compared to:SAL18250
Sony 50/1.4
price paid:GBP280 new
positive:Great IQ
Pretty good in low light
negative:Huge
Zoom creep
Odd ergonomics
Massive filter size
comment:I use this lens a lot. I love the constant F2.8 and the 24mm wide end is wide enough for most cases.

I wish this was a DT style lens as opposes to a full frame lens. Perhaps that would reduce the sheer bulk of it. People frequently comment on my "scary lens" and are a little intimidated by it. I also had to pay quite a bit for a UV filter to protect the front element. All of this doesn't stop is producing great results though.
Update: I am coming to enjoy the bulk of the lens a little more. It feels great to handle.

The f2.8 seems to allow easier low light AF. One day when I have an A700, I'm sure the AF will take more advantage of this.
Update: On my A700, the AF does seem quite sure footed. Any errors I get I can most likely attribute to my technique. 70mm/f2.8 at 2-3 metres is a pretty shallow DOF...

The ergonmics are a little strange - the focus ring and zoom ring sizes really need to be swapped around. The zoom ring is close to the camera body and a little fiddly to reach. The focus ring is massive and it would be much better if sigma could somehow the zoom ring larger than the focus ring. Also, switching to MF involves setting the switch on the camera then shifting the focus ring. This is cumbersome at best but I suppose sigma need to have a consistent design across the various mount types.....

Flare: In bright sunlight conditions, if the light is anywhere to your front, even if out of the frame, the contrast is greatly reduced at wide apertures. Is this what they call veiling haze?

CA: it's possible to find CA on images produced by this lens. No big deal as LR can adjust for this with little trouble.

Overall, this lens is a definite keeper.

UPDATE:
I sent it back to Sigma after finding it produced soft corners (on aps-c!!). After many months and returns to cure focus issues induced by the repair, I am now very happy. Still a little bit of Front Focus at 70mm/2.8 but otherwise most impressive. Still not quite as sharp as my Sony 50/1.4 at comparable apertures, but then again, it's a zoom!
reviewer#4310 date: Nov-2-2008
compared to:Tamron SP 17-50mm f2.8; Minolta 50mm f1.4; Minolta 35-70mm f4
price paid:380 EURO (New)
positive:Very sharp, great colors
negative:weight
comment:I love this lens: it's very sharp and has nice colors.
reviewer#4103 date: Sep-17-2008
compared to:Sigma 24-60 f2.8
positive:Affordable
fast!
negative:heavy
comment:Good value in a nice fast lens. It does its best at f4 (both wide/tele), but nice to have the 2.8 when needed. has good color and decent bokeh. WIsh it were a bit wider, but with ff coming, this lens will truly shine.

reviewer#4086 date: Sep-12-2008
compared to:Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5
Minolta 50 f/1.7 (O)
Minolta 24 f/2.8 (O)
positive:+Sharp
+Nice range on both APS-C and full frame
+Rich,saturated, & contrasty colours
negative:-Big and heavy
-Huge filter diameter
-Clumsy MF clutch
comment:Optically this lens is great. Decently sharp throughout aperture and zoom range. Distortions are low. I love images it produces: contrasty and colourful. Though some won't like the warm cast.

The biggest turnoff about the Sigma 24-70/2.8 is its build. It's bulky, front-heavy, and ugly. Also the Canon-esque manual focus ring switch is useless on the a-mount.
reviewer#3984 date: Aug-20-2008
Looks good
negative:Big (blocks flash)
Heavy
Filter size (82mm)
comment:I've been working on buying only fast glass from now on, though that's difficult with an amateur's budget. Fortunately, I got rather lucky with this one. I originally purchased the 24-60 EX DG for $219 on Amazon but it had a back focus problem so I sent it to Sigma for repair. They couldn't repair it and replaced it with this lens at no extra charge. That being said, I still think this lens is a good deal for what you can find online (~$500).

It's very solidly built, more so than even the other Sigma EX lenses I've owned. The zoom ring is a bit tight, but not annoyingly so. I find the big focus ring useful, though it's slightly annoying to have to slide the ring between AF and MF positions.

I've been very happy with the image quality so far. It's not overly sharp wide-open at either end (I always back off from 70mm if I'm wide-open), but stopped-down it's great. Not as sharp as my 50mm prime, but pretty good for a zoom.

Autofocus seems great. Fast and accurate. No BF or FF issues. Flare control actually seems pretty good for such a wide opening (82mm diameter). Hasn't been a problem yet. And I really like the range of this lens.

I really haven't used it much in low-light yet, but I'll update the review once I do.
reviewer#3982 date: Aug-18-2008
compared to:Minolta 24-105mm
Tamron 18-200 XR Di II
price paid:265 GBP (new 2007)
Fast focusing
Not discreet
Weighty
82mm filters are pricey
Alpha mount not HSM like Canon/Nikon versions
comment:I bought this lens because I wanted a quality, fast-focusing zoom for all occasions for use with my 5D - I think that the 24-70 has delivered on all counts; the shame of this lens is that its bulk and weight often make me think twice about it as a walk-around choice.

reviewer#3903 date: Jul-30-2008
sharp 1 stop down
Close focusing.
negative:big and heavy
82mm filter
flare can be a problem (tiny hood)
comment:Impressive size. Might be too big to be walkaround lens.
2.8 aperture. Softer and lower contrast at 2.8 especially in 60-70mm range, but still usable. Very good at F4. Good minimal focus distance (sigma calls it macro). Colors are neutral and less saturated than minolta. Bokeh is good in out of focus areas, but can produce "bokeh CA", especially at 70/2.8

But!! After some time discovered decentering problem - top of the frame is very soft at 60-70, at all apertures. During warranty sent in for repair, but sigma returned money instead (unfortunately they had no another lens to replace).

reviewer#3620 date: May-22-2008
compared to:17 70 kit
24 60 Sigma f2.8
70 210 Beercan
positive:*Very sharp from 30 to 50, even wide open
*very solid build
*nice bokeh
*good color
negative:*one copy unacceptably soft at either end of zoom, 70 being quite poor, second copy much better
*zoom ring could be bigger
*wide open at zoom extremeson lens one were disappointing (returned lens) 2nd copy better
comment:The build quality of this lens is quite good. The first copy, however, had disappointing IQ at the lens extremes, poorer than what I expected based upon sample images on Dyxum. I suspect that this copy had been returned to the vendor before, it was the last on the shelf. I returned this lens for exchange, and am hoping that the next copy will be better.

Update: I received another copy of this lens about a month ago, and am very happy. It is MUCH sharper at the extremes than my previous copy. Basically, at f2.8 at all focal lengths the iq is entirely usable, and at 5.6 and smaller tha images are quite contrasty and sharp. While at the extremes the images are not as good as in the middle, they don't fall off much, and are way better than my last copy.

Two quick notes, the original copy was very sharp between 30 and 50 at any aperture, but deteriorated rapidly at the extremes. Also, flare problems exist in that the image gets milky, the hood helps.
reviewer#3496 date: Apr-21-2008
Fast and good AF
Build quality and look
FF
negative:Softer at 70mmm 2.8, but much better at f4.0
comment:Excellent lens for the price paid, or new (ca. 400€)
Good from center to corner at f2.8. Very low CA, low vignetting and better bokeh than the Min 24-85.

Update:
Very sharp at 70mm f2.8 with manual focus. With autofocus BF and focusing beyond infinity (from 10m, wide open at 70mm). At shorter distances focus is more accurate.
reviewer#3474 date: Apr-17-2008
SAL 18-70mm
positive:Build quality
Fast zoom
Quiet AF
negative:Petal flower hood (not deep enough)
HSM ought to be standard
On-board flash shadow
comment:This is a miniature hubble telescope! It's weighty (too heavy for long walkabout), but looks great on the camera. Colours are wonderful on A700. I would prefer a lighter lens.

AF is faster than other Sigma's I own and quieter too.

reviewer#3387 date: Mar-21-2008
compared to:Sony 18 70
CZ 16 80
Minolta 50/1.7
price paid:290€ used
Build quality
negative:None so far
comment:I really love this lens very much: build is very good (though the zoom ring is too next to the body), right weight in my hands, nice Sigma EX finish, looks rock solid.

The minimal focus distance of 40mm is very useful, the range is good for a walk-around lens, (18 would be better of course), constant f2.8 gives you EV gain in low light.

About the IQ, I find the lens impressive at f2.8: it can keep up with the max aperture very well, not loosing the sharpness that noticeably. I find it sharper than the 50/1.7 at wide apertures. The bokeh it produces is quite good, colors are very good too (maybe a bit colder than Minolta).

AF is fast and accurate, this lens has proven me (along with the 50/1.7) that focus problems I had before buying this were more lens-related than I could think.
reviewer#3070 date: Dec-13-2007
compared to:sigma 18-200
positive:sharp, focuses fast, can focus in the dark, build quality, value for money
negative:lens hood not practical, not a walk around lens
comment:What a beautiful lens! ok, since i am used to the awful 18-200, i was sure to love it. But at night or in the studio with dim modelling lights, it focuses so fast and so accurately, it is a joy. I also love the sharpness (nb: i use f8 - f11 in general), and the colours are neutral. Before using it, I hadn't noticed that the 18-200 had that pink hue.

With 24mm (=36mm on a D5D), it is not wide enough to be my walk around lens, but that's ok since i carry the 10-20 in the pocket.
reviewer#3025 date: Dec-3-2007
compared to:Minolta 28-135 4-4.5
Minolta 28 2.8
Minolta 50 1.7
positive:Very sharp center wide open
Edges very sharp by 3.5
Colors are magnificent
Contrast outstanding
Build very solid
Useful macro
negative:Zoom ring too small and to close to body
AF good but HSM would make lens superb
very big for range
comment:I have been using the much loved Minolta 28-135 as my walk around lens since I bought my A100 (my first SLR of any type) in Oct 06. I had a lot of problems with that lens but after an overhaul I fell in love with it.

In my opinion, the Sigma 24-70 is better. Why:

1. for me, the 4mm at the wide end is much more useful than the 65mm at the long end which is better covered by the beercan anyway.

2. the Sigma is as sharp as the Minolta by 4.5 (wide open for most of the minoltas range) but gives the option of over one stop more light is required.

3. the sigma's colours easily match the minolta but its contrast absolutely slaughters it.

4. I can focus on things inside 5 feet! yay!!!!

Just about all these comments apply equally to the two primes, the 50 1.7 and the 28 2.8. The 50 is still useful in being really compact and even faster but thats its only advantage. The minolta 28 2.8 is really a waste of space now and I'd sell it if it was worth anything.

I spent a long, long time agonising over this purchase. Sigmas reputation for dodgy QC, comments over the lenses size, predictions of new Sony glass etc etc all conspired to delay the buy.

Eventually Sony didnt come through with new lenses, I was getting increasingly frustrated with the limitations of the minolta, I got to try this lens on my camera (albeit the older DF version) and sigma came through with another lens I wanted (the 100-300 f4) so I pushed on and bought it.

Since then I have not regretted my decision for an instant. And the minolta is now consigned to my lens bench (possibly to be sold in a few months).

I now have an all Sigma core line-up (20, 24-70, 100-300) and have been over the moon with the build and image quality.

But all that said the lens isnt perfect:

1. I'm a fan of the EX build generally but in this instance the design of the zoom ring could be better.

2. AF is OK but these are big pieces of glass and would really benefit from HSM. I would love to hear how this lens performs ont he A700 BTW.

3. Some people have rated flare control as a problem for this lens, after the minolta 28-135 (which really was poor at dealing with flare), I'd say this lens isnt great, but isnt that bad either. My assessment bounced between a 3 and a 4 for this grade but after a weekend of successful shooting in the first snowfall of the year I decided a 4 was more appropriate.

reviewer#2707 date: Sep-7-2007
compared to:KM 18-70mm kit lens, Minolta 35-70mm f4
price paid:Ł269.99 (new)
positive:Fantastic build quality, good zoom range, no CA, fast autofocus, front element doesn't rotate.
negative:No SSM/HSM, 82 mm filter is expensive
comment:This is an excellent lens, and I am very pleased that I bought it. I will mainly use it for portraits, but the range is such that I will end up using it as my main walk about lens.

The focusing is fast and reasonably quiet on the KM 5D and there is good sharpness to the results- even wide open. I especially like the lack of CA.

This is a great lens, and if you are looking for a lens of similar range and aperture range do consider it.

I have had a bitter experience with Sigma's QC in the past (28-70mm f2.8) and so had the odd concern about this lens, but my sample is pretty much spot on.

Highly recommended.
-Two-step MF mode
-Small hood for APS-C
-24mm a little long
-Slight misalignment at 70mm
comment:I had been previously using a KM24-85mm with great results, however I wanted just a little bit more speed in my zoom lens for indoor photography, with and without flash. The 50/1.7 is of course, good for this, but I wanted the convenience of a zoom. I also like the 50-85mm range for portraits, so I did not bother with the Tamron 17-50/2.8 or Sigma 18-50/2.8 lenses, but I do want some wide angle (not a 28-70 zoom). Hence I got the Sigma. Suffice to say, I'm very happy with this lens.

Image quality is generally excellent. Sharpness is excellent from 24-50mm wide open. There appears to be a slight centering defect/back focus at 70mm, and is slightly soft at f2.8 with some LoCAs (manual focusing removes the LoCAs but it's softer) - this goes away at f4. At 50mm/f2.8, this lens is better than the KM 50/1.7 at f2.8; less CA and is sharper. There is slight CA in this lens, mostly wide open, but nothing a bit of post-processing can't fix. Colors are excellent, though Bokeh can be a little incoherent (not as good as the Tamron 90 macro). It is better in every regard than the KM 24-85mm.

The build is quite good and the lens is sturdy, with a mix of metal and plastic. The lens exterior has a soft felt-like touch, which I've come to like. The lens is huge and blocks the pop-up flash (though I rather like the size of the lens, feels good in the hands). The lens also blocks the A700's red lamp if the hood is on. The zoom ring is a little stiff initially, but gets better over time; I'd prefer the zoom and focus ring to be switched though. The hood is small for APS-C, and there is occasionally some flare issues. The 82mm filter is annoying, but I plan on using a 77mm polarizer on it with a step-down ring; should work with APS-C.

The lens does have a some barrel distortion. I measured about -2.5% at 24mm, and 1.5% at 70mm. Also, 24mm is a little longer on this lens than it is on the 24-85. I measured the magnification of the lens as 1:3.4, better than what is stated (80mm object on a 23.6mm sensor is 1:3.4).
reviewer#2546 date: Jul-15-2007
compared to:Sony DT 18-70
Sigma 50 F2.8 EX Macro
price paid:259 UK Pounds (New)
positive:+ Super Sharp
+ Build Quality
+ AF speed
+ Cheap compared to Canon/Nikon/Minolta equivalents
+ Close Focusing
negative:- 82mm
- Flare (Sometimes)
- Not a D type lens
- Sometimes hunts a little in low light
- Af is quite noisy
comment:This is truly a brilliant professional lens. After my kit lens broke a couple of weeks ago, I needed something decent as i had numerous events coming up. I bought this thinking, for the price it seems fine. Fine was an understatement. The sharpness at F2.8 is brilliant up until 50mm when F4 is needed until 70mm. This lens has been compared to it's canon equivalent on this site - http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/2470exl . This lens, even though it extends outwards, doesn't suffer from zoom creep. If, when you have finished using the lens, you put it in the 70mm position, because this extends out a little bit itself and is the furthest the lens can go without going inwards, the lens doesn't creep. Complicated i know, but it doesn't.
The AF is pretty speedy also. However because it is relatively noisy, I was taking pictures of some babies the other week and it almost woke them up, it makes it seem slow.
The only other draw back is the 82mm filter. Although if you buy a half decent filter on the front, sigma ex dg uv, for about 30 quid, it doesn't seem that bad. And for polarizers and ND Grads, cokin P series filters just about fit with no vignetting.
This is a brilliant lens both for price and its performance.
Go and buy it now