Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM A-mount lens review by DarkScribe

reviewer#5711 date: Jul-16-2009
compared to:Minolta 28-70 F2.8 G, Minolta 17-35 F3.5 G, Tamron 17-50 F2.8 Di II, Tokina 28-70 F2.8 SV
positive:It is a good lens in several ways, but nowhere near as good as the previous three reviews claim. In some aspects it does not outperform a similar Tokina lens at less that a third of its cost.
negative:It often misses focus, not sharp when wide open, and colour is nowhere near as good as Minolta glass. It is a disappointing lens considering its reputation.
comment:This was definitely a disappointing lens - I had waited for it for some time and was expecting much more. I had the dealer exchange it feeling that I had a bad copy - but the same problems persisted. They took it back and I have not as yet replaced it - I am staying with my Tokina 20-35, a much less expensive lens that outperforms it. It does focus quickly and silently - when it doesn't stick - but with an A700 or an A900 that already focus quickly - it isn't really noticeably faster than the lens it replaced - the Sigma non HSM version. Perhaps on an A100 it would make a difference.