Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM A-mount lens review by mezman

reviewer#5809 date: Aug-5-2009
compared to:Minolta 24/2.8
positive:Very sharp, even from f/2.8 (at the center at least). Good range and overall build quality.
HSM is nifty.
negative:Huge and heavy, but such is the way of full frame 24-70/2.8 lenses.
82mm filter threads means that each and every filter you buy costs a fortune.
comment:Bought to go with my new A900 since I couldn't afford the Zeiss 24-70/2.8. Cost being equal or even close, I would probably have gone for the Zeiss but that's the advantage of the Sigma. It's able to produce 90% of the image quality of the CZ at 60% of the cost ($900 versus $1600 USD). There's a fair amount of distortion at 24mm, more than the Minolta 24/2.8 but the light falloff at f/2.8 isn't as great in the Sigma as there is in the Minolta 24/2.8.

The build quality is good overall. The zoom ring on mine gets stiff and jerky when it gets cold (below 35 degrees). Hopefully that'll loosen up as the lens gets worked in more. The focus ring was very stiff too when the lens was just out of the box but that's been worked out with use.

I think that DarkScribe below might have gotten a bad copy. I'm very happy with mine all told.

I do plan on re-evaluating what main zoom I keep in my bag once the long hinted at Sony 24-105/4 G comes out. That's a more useful range for me and since I do mostly landscape, the f/2.8 speed isn't necessary.