Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM A-mount lens review by wwjdwithca

reviewer#8029 date: Sep-28-2010
compared to:Kit Lens, Sigma 100-300mm F4 EX DG APO HSM
positive:Build quality, this lens is a tank. Fast, great color, excellent focus that is very good in low light, filter sizes match my 100-300mm lens, pro quality portraits with interesting bokah, and the lens looks awesome on my camera.
negative:Cost. Not as sharp as top rated lenses in this class.
comment:This is a great walk-around lens. Many user complain about it's weight. Many times I not only carry this lens, but my 100-300mm as well, so this one's a feather comparatively and much more usable. Not only that, when I carry this camera, I usually flip the camera to my back and this combo carries very well that way.

The portraits are very good, you can see a few that I recently took on the sample image page. Some reviewers complained about the bokah as being overly busy, and when I first saw it I agreed, but after using the lens I really appreciate how I can get a full smooth bokah with my 100-300 and a much more defined edging with my 24-70mm. Check out the portrait I took of my daughter, I love the added sparkle I got from a bit of light breaking thru the trees, and how well defined the flowers are, yet are very much blurred and cause the photo to "Pop." I've become a big fan of this style of bokah. Now maybe I wouldn't if I didn't have the option of an extremely smooth bokah with my 100-300mm, but the combination of the two for me is great!

Speaking of combinations, I love that my filters are interchangeable. They are big, but I like how the lens works, and I like how it looks, so this size does not affect me in the least.

This lens is so good that I question weather I really need my 100-300 any longer, it's such an excellent all-around lens. But there are those times that the longer focus cannot be replaced.

I spoke about the sharpness, yes this lens is quite sharp, but it's not on the level of the lenses that cost twice as much, and you say of course not. Is it's sharpness worth $900, that's the question, and I don't think I can answer. My guess is no, that you could get equivalent quality for less, but probably at the cost of speed, or at the cost of hypersonic motor drive. So overall, this lens is really very, very good. But if your looking for the absolute sharpest lens in this category, this is not the number. But for me, $900 is my absolute ceiling for a single lens, so there you have it.