Sigma 24mm F1.8 EX Aspherical DG DF MACRO A-mount lens review by DcapVividOptic

reviewer#1467 date: Nov-23-2006
compared to:Min 20/2.8 MinO & MinRS, Min 24/2.8 MinO & MinRS, Min 28/2.8, Min 28/2 MinO & MinRS, 17-35 D, Min 35/1.4 MinO, Min 24-85, Min 24-105, Sig 24-70 EX DG, Sig 20/1.8 EX DG, Canon AF 20/2.8 & 24/2.8 & 35/2
positive:- 9 blade circular aperture, BIG manual focus ring, its DG, close focus
- distortion for its focal length
- hood
- MF ring doesn't move while in AF
negative:- nothing that really matters
comment:A truely excellent lens, that 9-blade circular aperture needs to be exploited. This lens never disapointed me at all.

The 'macro label' is odd, some say, "hey, its not a macro" ... in the field, that close focus is a REALLY good deal. I've used it sucessfuly for flower and fungi close-ups you can put the item into the scene. You can use the close focus to great effect.

The out of focus is wonderful. An absolute steal. I much prefered this lens to the Min 28/2, the bokeh is better.

I sold it a while back when I thought zooms could work for me, truth is I'm a depth of field control freek and slow zoom cannot replace what this lens does (I now know I need both a zoom and a fast). So, I now have the Sig 20/1.8 ... I haven't had the 20 + 24 together, but I think the 24 gets the edge, sharpness and DG/anti-purple-fringe is better on the 24 and distortion is better on the 24. I've never tried the 28/1.8 EX DG.

Check the size of it before you buy it, some people might get a shock if they've only had normal 24s before.

AF performance is good. manual is wonderfully rewarding, big grip. The two stage (switch and clutch) is a bit silly ... but at least when you are in AF the manual focus ring does NOT move.