Sigma 24mm F1.8 EX Aspherical DG DF MACRO A-mount lens review by FishKAA

reviewer#4816 date: Feb-6-2009
compared to:I have only kit 18-70 in 24mm so for sure Sigma rocks here in both speed and quality (colors, sharpness, etc)
price paid:about 320
positive:can be used as macro, sigma's switch from AF to MF
negative:the right edge in focusing is NOT INFINITY (probably just mine copy, sure hope so)

somehow limited depth of field even at highest aperture (still could be mine copy)
comment:this is my third prime and I was really confused for the first time, then I realized that right edge of focus is not infinity, I have to roll it to the left a bit to make it focus at infinity which is really disappointing since it's hard not to shift focus by accident while shooting. to be honest I was lame enough to realize this infinity focus issue almost after ...err, 1 year of using :)))
24/1.8 wasn't my duty lens, sigma 105/2.8 is so I don't have as much experience with this lense as with 105/2.8. I'm using it with A100 and it kinda slow in autofocus. But than again I'm manual focus freak so it's not a problem for me while sigma's on lens switching from AF to MF I found pretty useful.
Build quality is not so good and I believe mine copy have some flaws. Still pretty useful in low light but in a macro range. I've tried to make some party shots and most of them was out of focus in both AF and MF (you see, it's hard enough to do good MF while subject moving and you slightly drunk :)

Yet still it's way much better at 24mm than my kit 18-70 lens in any way. In case those flaws are just in my copy I'd recommend it highly otherwise make sure you do most of your 24mm shots in macro range (and this lens is pretty good at it :)

p.s. this lens doesn't works with my marumi extension tube set, could probably be mine copy as well