Sigma 24mm Super Wide II F2.8 A-mount lens review by moedius

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f2.8 XR Di II LD
Sony 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 SAM
Sony 18-70mm f3.5-5.6 DT
price paid:35.00 (used)
positive:Very sharp centrally, even wide open
Very small and compact
Very close MFD
Fast aperture
negative:Zen coating (?)
Some Distortion
comment:As I purchased this used I can only comment on this particular copy.

For how cheap you can get this little gem there's little to complain about. There's the distortion you'd expect from a wider prime, and the CA can be pronounced in some situations, but my is this lens sharp in the center, even wide-open, and it focuses extremely close... I usually use this indoors, in low-light situations. For example for close-up pet portraiture, especially if I want to close and get the elongated big-nose effect.

I've not seen the AF misses that others have reported, for me it tends to be very quick and very accurate, and it's not particularly loud either. I may have just gotten lucky with a good copy. I believe this has the Zen coating, so it's very important that you check to see whether it's begun to degrade and get sticky. I would avoid in that case.

Additionally, this might actually be the smallest a-mount lens I own. It's very compact and no frills. Manual focusing is better than many AF lenses from the time, and it's throw is a little longer, but it's still not great. 52mm filter thread is a little bit of a pain, but I keep stepdown\up rings so I can use my 55mm filters. It did not come with the stock lens hood, though I've not needed it much and keep a screw-on hood in case.

I don't have the Minolta 24 to compare it to, which would seem to be the logical competitor. But the Sigma is typically around 1/4 the cost or less, so if this is a focal length you're looking for in a prime, go for it.