Sigma 24mm Super Wide II F2.8 A-mount lens review by Velectron

reviewer#8525 date: Jan-15-2011
compared to:Minolta 28mm F2.8
Minolta 50mm F1.7
Minolta 24mm F2.8
positive:Razor sharp stopped down a bit
Small MFD
Build Quality
negative:AF noise a bit loud but quiets down if you oil the gears a bit
Hood cannot be stored in reverse
comment:Very nice and sharp lens with close focusing capability. I shot directly into the sun and also with the sun at the edge of the frame and was surprised that flare was actually controlled very well, unlike some of the experiences of past reviewers. Surprisingly, it worked on my A33 without any aperture error problems! However, the lens couldn't focus to infinity on my A33, only up to about 10m. I have two copies of this lens and both are like this. However, at F8, infinity focus actually appeared quite good because of the increased depth of field. This shows how sharp this lens can be when properly focused, such that even when slightly unfocused, the shots can still appear pretty good!

Update: I had fixed the infinity focus issue thanks to the kind advice from a gentleman here at Dyxum. Now I am having a really sharp 24mm prime! :)

Update 2: I got my 3rd lens (Quantaray version) and it does not focus to infinty as well. I believe most if not all of this Sigma lens would not focus to infinity on the A33/A55. So those of you who buys them off Ebay or other places better take note!

Update 3: I got a Minolta 24mm to compare with this lens using standard shots. Wide open, the Sigma wins in the corners and centers are about the same. At mid apertures (F4-6.3) the Minolta slowly catches up on the corners and the center is very slightly better than the Sigma. By F7.2 it is a tight tug of war between the two with no clear winner. Thats how good this Sigma lens is and definitely gives the Minolta a run for the money.