Sigma 28-200mm F3.5-5.6 DG Macro A-mount lens review by profhankd

reviewer#9523 date: Oct-23-2011
compared to:Beercan, 18-70 kit lens, etc.
(I have 130+ lenses)
positive:Good zoom range, IQ, small for its focal range
negative:Strange color, lousy bokeh (like most zooms), soft edges wide open on APS-C (ok on FF)
comment:Really a very nice "all purpose" lens. This was a pleasant surprise in an eBay lot I got because it contained a different lens that I wanted.

I expected sharpness to be compromised for this zoom range, but it doesn't seem to be -- especially in the center. I've now found that it's at least as good on FF as it is on APS-C. The APS-C edges take a couple of stops to get crisp. It outclasses the 18-70mm kit lens in both build and IQ. The center might even be sharper than the beercan. There is tons of contrast, maybe too much? Distortion and flare are both ok for a lens of this type.

Color is a little funky. It is hard to say what's wrong, but it definitely is not as nice as Minolta glass or even my other Sigmas. I really like this as a no-brainer family-photo lens, but the odd color actually gets in the way. It's not terrible, but this is the only lens I have that makes me think twice just because of color issues.

Oh yes: this was originally tested using my A55. This and all my old Sigma lenses have worked fine with my A55. Either the SLT incompatibility was worked-around in later A55s like mine or incompatible lenses are rare. I've now also used it a lot on my NEX-7 and A7, and it works nicely on both with the LA-EA2/4 adapters.