Sigma 28-70mm F2.8 EX DG A-mount lens reviews

compared to:Tamron e172 90 mm macro
price paid:€300
positive:Sharp, silent, quick, f2,8
negative:Heavy,
comment:Great lens!
reviewer#8560 date: Jan-25-2011
compared to:SAL 18-55 f/ 3.5-5.6 SAM
Minolta 35-70 f/4
price paid:$180, used
positive:Warm colors
Focusing speed (good enough for me)
Weight & sturdy built, feel
Constant 2.8 aperture
negative:A bit constrained focal length on APS-C
Ineffective hood for flare
comment:Saw it being offered at a modest price (in Korean standards, that is) and picked it up right away, though I was a bit worried about the 28mm starting focal length. The lens blew me, though.
The Sigma colors were a tad different from the Minolta colors I'm so fond of and took a short while to get used to, but it is fantastic, it gives me what I want without much hassle.
The bokeh is also very good, it's my first time on a circular aperture but it left me awestruck!
The hood might have been bigger though, even with the Sigma DG UV filter, flare doesn't go away easily.
On the whole, a very good lens, solidly built and with good colors and bokeh. Oh, almost forgot to mention, the constant aperture comes in handy and at 70mm, stopped down a bit, it gives very good results for portraiture. GET THIS LENS.
reviewer#7245 date: Apr-4-2010

Sony - AF DT 18-70 F3.5-5.6

Sony - AF DT 18-200 F3.5-6.3

Minolta - AF 50 F1.7

Sigma - 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM

price paid:THB 14000 (new)
positive:constant f2.8
build good
no zoom creep nice torque
sharp
pictures quality at 28mm f2.8 good
not heavy well balance on body
resonable price
67mm instead filter of expensive 82mm
negative:At tele end not as sharp must step down to f4 to get better picture and edges clarity not there when use in full frame.

Focus a bit loud unlike the sony ssm models or the sigma's hsm.

28mm not really wide enough on a C sensor.

Hood could have been made of better quality plastics.
comment:Wanted to get the minolta 28-135mm for my wife but pricing and troublesome in finding it made me switch to this sigma lens. Looking back is a well made decision. After all this sigma is brand new with warrenty fixed f2.8. Aside that the reach is not 135mm.

Great lens for it's pricing. It does lose out to extra reach comparing it with the other 3 sony lens mention above. But its is a much sharper lens as compare to them. By stopping to f4 this sigma is sharper.

A tad not as sharp compare to the minolta's 50mm f1.7 at f4 50mm. Than again we can't really compare a prime against a zoom lens.

Bulid wise is much better than the tammy 28-75. Had a chance to try out the tammy before deciding on the sigma. The tammy is softer at 28mm f2.8 conmparing to the sigma.

Bokeh from this lens is pretty fine not too hash.

Focusing speeed is pretty fine for this lens but a bit loud, it does it's job pretty well in lower light conditions.
reviewer#6305 date: Oct-31-2009
price paid:380USD (new)
positive:Super sharp at 28mm
Not that bad close focus (not really a macro)
Nice hood
Well build
negative:Not so sharp at 70mm as at 28mm
Maybe a little big filter diameter but it's a kit lens right!?
It's easy to scratch it's plastic like all EX sigmas.
comment:After reading a lot of reviews I think it's better than wider version (24-70) and it's best in this price. I don't regret that I bought it.
reviewer#5893 date: Aug-23-2009
Sony 50 / 1.4
positive:Size, weight
F2.8
Sharpness
negative:Nothing except the 'reverse' Zoom - which I have to get used after a Sony Zoom lense before
comment:This evaluation is done after 4 weeks and taking about 500 pictures. This lens became my favourite lense as walk-around lense. The built quality of this lens is a big step up from the Sony 18-200 or compared to other ‘cheap’ Sigmas, which I tried out before. I loved the Sony lense for two years, but fell in love immediately with the new Sigma.

When I compared my Minolta 28/2.8 to the lense at 2.8 I found differences in sharpness and CA, but I was not able to select, which one I like more at 28 mm. Comparing the lense with my Sony 50/1.4 at 2.8 the Sony was better at the same aperture. The sharpness I got with the Sony 50mm at 2.8 was about the sharpness of the Sigma at 4.0 (and the sharpness of the Sigma at 2.8 was equivalent to the Sony at 1.7), which speaks for itself.

CA: much better than Sony 18-200
Bouquet: good.

The purchase of the lens followed the path of evolution: I started with my Alpha 100 with a Sony 18-200/3.5 – 6.3 . I was not happy with speed and added a couple of fixed focus to my collection: Minolta 24/2.8, 28/2.8, 50/1.7, 135/2.8 and Sony 50/1.4 and appreciated the fast lenses and improvements of picture quality (sharpness/CA,..) with the fixed focus lenses. I started to look for a lense, which combines the advantage of fast and zoom and good quality. The famous Minolta G-glass (28-70) was my dream, but I wondered about the high price of lenses and the risk of getting a used one. I tried to be rational, looked in my wallet and through the discussion groups and ratings and decided for this lense, which was purchased in US for about 290 USD.

Bottom line: Great lens, good bouquet. Highly recommendable. I give it a perfect 5 except sharpness and to give me some headroom till I get one of the Minolta G Glasses in my hands.

reviewer#5065 date: Mar-21-2009
Size
Colors
Fast
negative:Nothing
comment:For a investment of 280€ for a brand new lens the Sigma 28-70 F2.8 EX DG is worth every cent. I bought it because of the need for a lens that works in low lightning. I've got a Minolta 28 as well but I thought I needed a lens with a zoom. I tried the Tamron SP AF 28-75 F2.8 XR as well in the shop but found it to be of lesser quality.
I've had no problem with lens creep etc with this lens, maybe because it’s only three weeks old? I agree its soft wide open but sometimes it's an effect that I've come to like.
I can recommend this to people in the same situation as I. When you want to take decent pictures at a friend wedding or your kid’s birthday party and you know the usual kit lens fails, this one won't.
reviewer#4928 date: Feb-27-2009
compared to:Minolta 35-105
Minolta 28-105 xi
price paid:165 € (used)
positive:good build, sharp, good colors, fast
negative:Need to use the lock to avoid zoom creep
comment:I bought the lens because of reading Dyxum. I fell in love right away. The EX finish is nice. The weight (around 500 gr.) feels well balanced. I use a Tamron UV filter. While skiing, I got excellent blue skies without a polaroid. The pictures are sharp and crisp. I had some flare with direct light from street lighting in low light, but I guess this was because of the filter. Distortion is not an issue. The colors are nice and warm. This is my standard lens now that I use most of the time.
reviewer#4851 date: Feb-12-2009
compared to:SAL-1870
Tamron SP AF 28-75 F2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical IF
price paid:280 EUR (new)
positive:F2.8 constant aperture
Excellent value for money
negative:Zoom creep!
comment:Like most people, the horrible image quality of the SAL-1870 quickly got on my nerves so I decided to bin it and find a replacement. I wanted a faster lens with a comparable range and preferably a constant aperture.

Even though at first I wanted to stick with Sony, not trusting any third-party glass, the Sigma offered just what I wanted and the positive reviews here at Dyxum convinced me to take the plunge.

IQ:
Unlike the Sony the Sigma performs admirably throughout the entire zoom range. At F2.8 the lens is reasonably sharp, stopped down a bit it's excellent. Distortions and flare are hardly noticable and the only true optical problem is a bit of CA in extreme situations.

Build:
The thing that steered me away from the Tamron was the awful build quality. The Sigma feels and looks very solid whereas for the Tamron I felt the need to carry a roll of duct-tape with me for field repairs. Unfortunately, zoom creep is a very big issue with this lens. Even tilting it without the lock will cause the lens to slowly but surely "zoom in". Of course, this can be fixed if carried at 28mm with the zoom lock on it, but a when a sudden shot comes across it'll leave you fumbling with the tiny lock button while you miss your window of opportunity.

Overall:
For anyone looking to replace the SAL-1870 kit lens I highly recommend the Sigma. It'll cost you a bit of the wide range, however the difference in performance and build more then make up for this. The IF makes the use of filters possible and the constant large F2.8 aperture combined with SSS ensures satisfactory and consistent images even in poor conditions.
reviewer#4685 date: Jan-15-2009
Cheap
negative:Lens cap
Zoom creep
28mm is a little long for APS-C
comment:Great lens especially for the price. A definate upgrade from the kit lens and a good place to start to build a lens collection. The F2.8 makes it a good indoor lens and the minimum focus distance of 13" makes it very versatile. Great bang for your buck!
reviewer#4576 date: Dec-23-2008
compared to:Sigma 28-80
Sigma 24-60 F2.8
Minolta 50 F1.7
Sigma 24 F2.8
Minolta Beer Can
price paid:$225 USD (like new)
positive:-Great results wide open
-Very resistant to Diffraction deep into Ap range
-Nice color - not "Minolta" traditional, but not as cold as some Sigmas either
negative:-Zoom creep if you forget to set lock
-(Very) Slight hunting occasionally
comment:I mostly have to concur with others on here. I picked this beauty up from KEH.com for $225 and it is far and above the best lens purchase I have ever made. True, it would be nice to have 24mm on the wide end from time to time. Even so, I think there is a reason this one ends up as the third highest ranked lens in the 24-75 range. It's definitely sharp (though the files I have played with from a friend's CZ 24-70 do win hands down), great color unless you have to have "Classic Minolta" look, well controlled distorition, nice contrast and reasonable flare control. Yes it will flare some, but it is very mild most of the time, and usually only when the sun is actually in the frame (provided you are using a hood as I always do).

What don't I like? For the price I paid, nothing here is a "problem". Were I to change anything, I think I would like a slightly stiffer zoom. That zoom lock is nice, but can get in the way sometimes if a sudden shot comes upon you and I won't carry it without it locked. SSM would definitely be nice too. Basically I won't give this one up for anything less than the CZ at this time. I do find that I almost never use my Min 50 F1.7 or Sig 24 F2.8 anymore though. In fact I even use my Beer Can less than I used to unless I NEED the reach. Perhaps I should sell the primes to start saving since the biggest drawback to this lens in my mind is the CZ seems to be the only reasonable upgrade path from here!
reviewer#3931 date: Aug-5-2008
Sigma 24-60 F2.8 EX DG
Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG Macro
price paid:$330 USD
positive:Easy to carry - relatively small & light
A very good, but not excellent lens overall
negative:Considering price, nothing.
comment:I really like this lens. I had a Minolta 28-70 G but had an opportunity to sell it to add to the savings for a new Sony 24-70 2.8 CZ (not there yet). Before I sold it, I wanted to find a good portrait zoom with low light capabilities. I tried 3 Sigma's in about the same zoom range and max aperture. Of the three, this is the lens I'm keeping. I think it far exceeds the other Sigmas on my list above. I think its a "very good" lens but, of course, does not match the Minolta G so I can't call it "excellent". However, for the price, its hard to beat - something of a Junior G. Add to that the relatively small size & weight, so if I ever get my 24-70 CZ, I expect I'll keep this lens for traveling light. The only reason I did not give it a "5" for build was 4.5 is not an option and a "5" generally requires a lens to be built like a tank. Colors have reproduced true so far and I've had no distortion or flare problems - so far. I think it is well worth the money, especially if you want to keep the weight of your camera bag down.
reviewer#3526 date: Apr-28-2008
positive:Sharp at 2.8, very sharp at higher AP
Nice bokeh
good flare control
negative:heavy
comment:Very good standard zoom.
Good usable for landscape, street photography and portrait.

A bit heavy, especialy on analog SLR.
reviewer#3422 date: Apr-2-2008
cheap
67mm filters
film/dslr/full frame compatable
negative:28mm limits range a little
the odd flare issue - but that may be due to me
useless lens cap with hood attached
comment:2.8 constant aperture is especially useful on a100 in low light as ISO needs to be kept low.
Ideal standard zoom covering a decent range - see negative comments.
Along with my 12-24, 50mm 1.7 and beercan everything i need is covered with this lens.
To be honest from a personal point of view it's as good as the 50mm for portraits / indoor work.
Typical EX build quality - great lens.
reviewer#3416 date: Mar-31-2008
compared to:Minolta 28 mm prime lens, 50 mm prime lens, Sony 18-70 Kit lens
positive:Great Build, excellent sharpness above 28mm. Very fast and great overall performance. Great color, very warm.
negative:A little soft at 28mm but still good quality.
comment:I purchased this lens from B&H photo based on ratings on comments here on Dyxum. I was definately NOT disappointed! I will be selling my Minolta 28 and 50 primes on ebay soon since this lens easily replaces them. At 28 mm it was slightly less defined than the 28 mm prime and amazingly the Sony kit was slightly sharper but not as bright or colorful. Everything above 28 was incredibly sharp and colorful! Definately worth the price and will make my bag less cluttered with fewer lenses! I'll post some comparison images in the forum.
reviewer#3185 date: Jan-15-2008
compared to:Minolta 18-70 Kit
Minolta 50/1.7 Prime
price paid:est $350USD (new)
positive:Build Quality
Size
Finish

negative:Weight
comment:I have had this lens for a little over a year now. It has rapidly become my default lens on my 7D. For the price, I don't think you can find a better zoom with the same build quality and color.

Compared to the 18-70 kit, it comes out ahead on build and low light usage. It ranks the same in my opinion on sharpness.

I would highly recommend this lens to anyone.
reviewer#3145 date: Jan-7-2008
compared to:Minolta 50mm 2.8 AF/Macro
Sigma 24mm 2.8 AF/Macro (1:4)
Sigma 90mm 2.8 AF/Macro
Sigma 28-200 3.8-5.6 UC
positive:Quality, Size, Value for Money
negative:Maybe zoom creep, but it doesn't bother me all that much especially because my lens is tighter at 28mm and only creeps if it's extended past that point
comment:Very Happy with this lens!

It is indeed small for its category; fits well in the hand and both the zoom and focus rings are comfortable to operate. I also like the finish on the lens because its texture imparts a good grip and doesn't feel slick like some more polished lenses. There is some lens creep once the lens is extended past the 28mm position, but at 28mm there is a zoom lock switch that prevents zoom creep while toting the camera around the neck.

The image quality doesn't disappoint at all. In many instances it's comparable to my prime lenses. Granted that when the lens is tested scientifically, it may not be as sharp, but to my eyes it is! Colors are nice and vivid as well. It works well with ADI (advance distance integration) function and flash exposure was much improved over my non ADI lenses. And finally, its close focus distance is a foot, which gives around 1:5 magnification ratio and allows to shoot close to the subject for ultimate versatility.

Price?! Well, it's half of what you might pay for a comparable Sony or Minolta brand lens. Overall, this is a perfect solution for someone who needs an all-purpose walk-around lens and more. I highly recommend it!

Thank you for reading my review.
reviewer#2713 date: Sep-10-2007
price paid:120 (ebay UK)
positive:Tack sharp
Lovely build quality
Wow that AF is fast!
negative:Fiddly mount (but with a lens lock)
comment:A real sweetie. Tack sharp and great build quality/ finish.

Looks 'at home' on my 7D. A definite 'keeper'.
reviewer#2551 date: Jul-16-2007
compared to:Sigma 24-135 2,8-4,5
Fast AF
Aperture
zoom lock @ 28 mm
negative:Flare, just a little
Zoom creep
comment:I love this lens, the build is great, fast AF and it is really sharp. My everyday lens from now on.

Edit: Not my everyday lens since I've sold it and bought the CZ 24-70
reviewer#2126 date: Apr-8-2007
compared to:Tokina 28-70mm f2.8 AT-X
price paid:200 usd - eBay
positive:sharp - nice look/finish
great for indoors
negative:lens creep
comment:What ever user ROYCO stated is dead nuts on - I could not have stated/commented any better. My prime every day lens for my 7D. Sold Tokina because no macro and a bit soft but nicer bokeh.
reviewer#1922 date: Mar-7-2007
compared to:all my other ones
positive:f2.8 overall
quality O.K.
comment:It's simply O.K.
reviewer#1147 date: Aug-30-2006
positive:Can be used with lower speeds thanks to constant aperture.
negative:Well... A bit of vignetting at 28mm and full aperture.
comment:Bought it second-hand in a shop, hence the price.
reviewer#906 date: Jun-11-2006
compared to:Minolta 28-75mm F2.8, Minolta 28-128mm
positive:Sharp@ F2.8 tack sharp @ F5.6. Great finish. perfect hood. Low light performance.
negative:On the heavy side but u'll get used to it. Stiff zoom ring when new. Focus ring rotates dufing AF, watch your fingers! zoom creep, good thing it has a lock.
comment:As sharp as the minolta 28-75mm F2.8. Sharp wide open, tack sharp @ 5.6. This is currently my official indoor lens. works great with ADI. Handsome, sturdy looking finish. Good AF speed(altho hunts a little in low low light), good colors and contrast. My outdoor walk around lens is the Minolta 28-135mm because of the extra reach.Sold the Minolta 28-75 and kept this one because of build quality and looks great on my 7D, sharpness is about the same(as far as I tested) and $100 cheaper.

Zoom ring is a little stiff when new but loosened up after a months use. Zoom ring rotates during AF, so be sure your fingers are not wandering around it. Manual focusing is easy specially with the 7Ds AF/MF button.

Highly recommended!