Sigma 28mm F1.8 EX Aspherical DG DF MACRO A-mount lens review by 2manycamera

reviewer#218 date: Nov-14-2005
compared to:Minolta 28/2, 35/2, Sigma 24-70/2.8 EX, Tamron 24/2.5 MF
positive:Fast, 1.8 is usable for "street"shooting, bokeh is excellent and nice close-focus.
negative:Weight and feel. It looks like a "Pro" lens, but dosen't act like one.
comment:OK, I admit that I'm a Minolta snob. I actually liked this lens very much until I finally got the 28/2 and there is just so much difference that it's hard to be fair to the Sigma.The minolta is small, solid and easy to grip. The sigma is big, heavy, noisy and slower focusing. The minolta is sharp throughout its entire range, even wide open to the edge. The Sigma is almost as good at f/4 but is usable at 1.8 only iin the center and if you have no other choice. The only time the Sigma is superior is close focus,and this is something I usually don't do with a wide angle.I do like the look of bokeh due to the Sigma's 9 blade apeture and there is almost no light fall-off at the corners due, in part, to its enormous size. I do commend Sigma overall because the have not abandoned the fixed focal length as so many others have. They continue to produce very good, very fast lenses at decent prices. If I hadn't bought the minolta, this review wuold have been much more positive. For the price, I can highly recommend it, but, if you can, get the minolta.