Sigma 300mm F4 Macro APO A-mount lens review by jrfarrar

Inexpensive
Tripod Collar
Built in Hood
negative:AF/MF clutch
comment:I am finding that I like teles. This lens ended up as an impulse purchase. I thought I wanted a 400/5.6, but in the end wound up with this lens. AND I'm glad I did.

The AF/MF clutch as others have mentioned is annoying. For me the worst part is if you leave it in MF and turn the 7D on, it does not like the fact it can't focus to infinity to get a reference. So you need to make sure it is in the AF position when you turn the camera on. No matter if the camera is in MF or AF mode. That is really the only annoying part for me.The ring works fine, and I never accidentally bump it.

The focus is as fast as I would expect a 300/f4 lens to be without an in lens motor. Meaning that it is not super fast, but really not that bad either.

The tripod collar is easy to use and removeable.

I was impressed with the optical quality of this lens for the price. Sharpness is better than expected. I agree with whomever wrote that colors are a bit warm. Also, you only have to go up 1 stop for a good increase in sharpness.

Thanks for this lens Valder. I love it.