Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC A-mount lens review by nookiethebad

reviewer#5626 date: Jul-2-2009
compared to:Minolta 50.7, Tamron 17-50
price paid:450?USD not sure.
positive:Very nice bokeh, One of the best.
negative:No SSM for the Sony mount.
Focus problems due to such low DOF
comment:This lense have one of the best ever bokeh I have ever seen. Due to being a f1.4, it's very usable in low light situations. I use it with my alpha 100 however the problem is that Alpha 100 isn't good at focusing at low light situations and it's without a AF beam so it's real hard to focus properly but I got a 58am to help with that in low light situation, just using it as a real expensive AF beam, haha. Also the lense of such DOF confuses the camera abit so at first it was back focusing quite a bit. I had to send it to the Sigma to fix the problem. They said it's normal for the alpha series and these low DOF lenses as Alpha finds hard to focus. It depends lot on the lighting as well.
My lense was set to florecent lighting as I use it alot inside instead of outside. It all depends on the use actually, if let Sigma know what environment you will use the lense mostly in. They will set it that way for you. When my lense is used in Normal bulb lightings it back focuses quite abit at 1.4 due to my setting, but in florecent it's dead on the middle.

By the way you should always buy the non parallel import
cuz adjusting focus costs so much for parellel imported one. hahah I spent like $80 bux...just for that.