Sigma 50-200mm F4-5.6 DC OS HSM A-mount lens reviews

compared to:Many Sony/KM lenses
positive:OS
good sharpness
negative:not Minolta colors
comment:I bought this lens used. I wanted it for use on my NEX-3 for it's long range and stabilization. The sharpness is very good and the color and build work very well for me. I bought the 18-50 Sigma shortly before for the same features. They both work great for stills and video. You can turn of the sensor stabilization on your A55 or A33 and video record without having to worry about overheating the sensor stabilization. If your copy is not more sharp than the NEX tele, it may be a bad copy.
reviewer#11062 date: Apr-22-2013
compared to:Tamron 55-200
price paid:990 SEK new
positive:Rather lightweight, Silent HSM motor.
negative:Slow focusing even though it has a "HSM" motor, quite dissapointing optical performance.
comment:I choose to compare this lens to Tamron 55-200 even though I own/have owned several lenses within about the same zoom range. Like Tamron 70-200, beercan etc etc.

I bought this lens because I wanted a lightweight alternative with a fast HSM focusing motor. When the price dropped to 990 SEK (about 120 EUR) I decided to give it a try.

I already have the Tamron 55-200 which actually is a nice VERY lightweight lens, but without HSM. To my surprise, the Sigma is only as fast in good lightning conditions, but when it gets darker, it is substantially much slower than the Tamron. Though silent. So when the optical quality (or maybe my copy had a focusing issue, I don’t know) also is better with the Tamron lens, I decided to return my Sigma and to keep my Tamron.

Note, the copy I bought and returned is without OS, but according to Sigma, the optical construction and therefore performance is exactly the same.

My comments on color, build etc is basically an n/a as I only took a few test shots before returning it to the dealer.
reviewer#10449 date: Aug-12-2012
compared to:Tamron 55-200
Sony 55-200 (both versions)
All Minolta 70-210s
OS
No noticeable CA or PF
Very effective hood
negative:Sharpness drops beyond 160 but it is still sharp
comment:Very good lens for a great price.

Sharpness would have scored 5 had it not been for the ever so slight fall off beyond 160. Sharp at max aperture at all focal lengths.

Very close colour match to Minolta - the closest I have seen from an independent lens.

Build much better than the Sony/Tamron lenses.

OS works better than in camera Steady Shot - nice to have the option

All in all a no=brainer at the price I paid.
reviewer#9609 date: Nov-19-2011
compared to:Sony 55-200mm
positive:-price
-build
-OS
-HSM
comment:I was thinking about tele-zoom, wanted to by used Sigma 70-300, budt later I found this new lens for 160 bucks (standart price in Czech Republic is about 330), so there wasn´t any reason to buy used 70-300. On my SONY Alpha 450 isn´t range 50-200, but 75-300, and for e.g. plane-spotting is enaugh.
This lens is definitely great teletoom, with nice features for outstanding price
reviewer#8455 date: Dec-27-2010
compared to:Minolta 70-200 Beercan
Tamron 28-75mm
Sony 50mm
Sigma 18-250mm DC OS HSM
positive:Produces crisp and clear pictures
Lightweight
Solid Build
55mm Filters
Built In OS
Non rotating front ring
negative:Minimum focusing distance
Hood when mounted for storage
No Macro
Have to stop down some for sharp images
comment:I have had this lens a few days and so far I like what I see. This is a good alternative to kit telephoto lenses. It produces crisp clear pictures. However you have to stop down a ways (f/8 - f/11) to get really sharp images. There tends to be some softness in the corners when zoomed past 100mm to 125mm. When you get out to the long end, there is some softness and distortion. It isn't horrible but for a lens in the budget class, I would expect that.

The minimum focusing distance on this lens is 43" and there is no Macro. I find myself reaching back to my Tamron 28-75mm for closer shots and when I need something past 75mm, then this lens comes out.

This lens has Sigma's optical stabilization and I must say that it is nice. For some reason it seems work better than the Sigma 18-250mm that I had. I also find I have more keepers with the built in OS as I can see the movement vs using the built in Sony bar graph.

The HSM on this lens is super quiet. In fact it is so quiet that when held up beside your ear, you still can't hear it focusing.

This is a DC lens so no full frame support which is a downside for those looking to start small and move up.

One thing that really bugs me is that you can't manually focus with the lens hood mounted on the lens in reverse for storage. I find that I don't use hoods a lot and this is a real annoyance. Since the hood is not a petal type, it covers the entire focusing ring while the lens is in the 50-100mm range. Even at 100mm, it is still hard to get to. At 135mm it is ok. If you use AF or don't store lens hoods on the lens while in use, then this isn't an issue at all.

Overall I would recommend this lens as a good compliment to any kit 18-55mm or 18-70mm. It is a good lens to learn on. It doesn't produce Minolta colors but it isn't far off. The OS and HSM make it a great choice over the similar Sony 55-200mm.

Since I have only had this lens a few days, I will update this as I get more use out of it.