Sigma 500mm F5.6 DG DN OS Sports E-mount lens reviews

Sony 300mm with 2x Teleconverter
Sony 400mm with 1.4X Teleconverter
positive:Lightweight
Compact dimensions
Sharper than the two zooms I owned
Relatively inexpensive
negative:Not fully weather sealed
Sony limits its full potential
comment:When I bought my first E-mount camera, the A7 IV, I got the Sony 200-600mm to go with it. My main interest is nature photography with a focus on small birds, such as warblers. The Sony 200-600mm was sharp at 600mm but I grew to hate it. At 600mm its minimum focus distance was, by my measurement, 17 yards. That explained why I could never get shots of beautifully posed warblers just a few yards away. I sold it and got the Sigma 150-600mm. It wasn't as elegant as the Sony with its fixed length barrel and white finish, but the Sigma served my needs far better because the minimum focus distance at 600mm was around 10 feet. But, like the Sony, it was relatively heavy at 4.6lbs. As a walk-around shooter rather than a monopod/tripod user, that weight is significant. Enter the Sigma 500mm f5.6 DN OS Sports lens at a tad over 3lbs (1365 gm). Besides being light, it is relatively short at 9.3". Compared to the zooms I'd been using, this was a liberating experience.

Image quality is excellent compared to the two zooms, which were pretty good anyway.

In the Sony E-mount world, the prime options are the 300mm with a 2x teleconverter that comes in at $6300 and nearly 8lbs or the 400mm with a 1.4x teleconverter that comes in at $12,500 and 7 lbs. I have not tried these alternatives but I gather from reviews that image quality is excellent and the integration with high end Sony Cameras, such as the A1 and A9, makes them matchless for high speed sports and wild-life action.

But, paying for them would be a stretch and the weight would be intolerable for extended outings with walking involved.

So, the Sigma fills a unique niche for Sony E-mount shooters. I have zero regrets spending $3k on a 500mm prime lens this sharp, this light and this small.