Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM ART A-mount lens review by Saabluster

reviewer#12089 date: Jan-11-2015
compared to:Minolta 50mm 1.7
positive:Sharpness, color, sharpness, contrast, low distortion, vignetting, manual focus override.
negative:Slightly sticky focus ring. Slow focusing. Big for a 50.
comment:This lens is phenomenal for shear image quality. The contrast and sharpness is out of this world good. It is so much better than my current Minolta 50 1.7 that I feel like I have a new camera. Yes this lens is big but it is no bigger than your average 24-70. On the A99 this lens seems very well balanced. On the A58 it feels a bit ridiculous. The Sigma is significantly slower than the Minolta in focusing. As long as you are dealing with high contrast items. With lower contrast targets the Sigma seems to do slightly better at locking on. Overall the build quality is fabulous. But to me the focus ring leaves something to be desired. Wish it was more silky smooth with longer throw as the short throw and slight stiffness can make it difficult to make very fine adjustments when wide open. Love the big focus ring though. The focus ring on the Minolta is almost impossible to use as it is so thin it is hard to find. If you have the money for this lens and fast focusing is not critical for you I highly suggest getting it. The Sigma makes my Minolta look like it has Vaseline smeared across the lens. I haven't had this lens for too terribly long as it just came out for A mount so I will update with anything that comes to light.