Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM ART A-mount lens review by dfwatt
|dfwatt#35788 date: Mar-11-2017|
flare control: 5
|ownership:||I own this lens|
|compared to:||Sony Zeiss 50 1.4|
|positive:||1) Sharpness and more sharpness. This lens has detail to beat the band, and with excellent microcontrast. |
2) Great build quality. Proverbial brick sh-- house.
3) Easy to very finely MFA with USB Sigma dock (four different values possible).
4) Excellent control over CA (better than CZ 50 1.4).
5) Great value for the $. Better lens overall than pricier CZ.
|negative:||1) Weight and size. Big as some 24-70's? Instead of 'Nifty Fifty' Sigma must have thought of 'Chunky Monkey?' |
2) Not much else to speak of, except that Sigma may not be making these any more for A Mount, such that once stock runs out, that may be it. If so, that's very disappointing and suggests that you should get one NOW.
|comment:||The Sigma 50 1.4 Art, like all the Sigma Art series lenses, is a value 'home run'. This lens is $500 less than competing (and admittedly excellent) Zeiss 50 1.4, but is sharper in the corners at virtually any aperture, with about the same central sharpness. Easier to MFA precisely, given firmware dock. Won't allow H-AF on the A99ii obviously, which is a significant downside compared to the CZ, but only if shooting in wide modes and wanting features like eye focus. Works great with PDAF 79 AF points, so I don't miss H-AF at all. As for the weight, it's all tradeoffs. Can't get this kind of optical quality, including particularly wide open sharpness, without big elements.|