Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM ART A-mount lens review by RichardGG24
|RichardGG24#44401 date: Oct-25-2019|
flare control: 5
|ownership:||I own this lens|
|compared to:||Sony Zeiss Planar 50mm F1.4|
|positive:||1. as many people have mentioned, this is one of the sharpest 50mm out there, IMO it is almost as sharp as the Sony Zeiss Planar 50mm F1.4 but for a couple hundred $$$$ less.|
2. decent build quality, premium feel and the focus ring operates smoothly.
3. support sigma USB dock for fine adjustments
4. comparatively cheap for a lens of this performance
|negative:||1. the lens hood is relatively flimsy, but it works just fine none the less|
2. mediocre AF performance, (especially compared to the Sony Zeiss 50mm F1.4 when shooting videos), and AF sometimes struggles to focus in low light conditions.
3. might require some fine-tuning using the USB dock to achieve the maximum performance, which is kinda disappointing for a lens at this price.
4. inconsistent out of box performance, many say the experience might vary from batch to batch.
5. relative bulky, but not totally unacceptable
|comment:||In spite of the few minor flaws, you just can't turn down a lens this good at this kind of price, but again your experience may vary. I still think Sony Zeiss 50mm is the go-to A mount 50mm if money ain't no issue, but this one is 95% as good for about 60% the price. Of course, like many third party lenses, the camera support is usually not the best, with some features unavailable.|