Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM A-mount lens review by 3.0

Full Time manual override focus
Solid Build
Very good glare resistance
Wonderful portrait lens on APS-C @ 75mm and f/1.4
negative:Colors appear muted to me compared to the Tokina and Minolta's
comment:Was very back and forth with this lens because it's almost twice the cost of a Minolta 50mm f/1.4 and 25-30% more than a Sony 50mm f/1.4. Both of which are well made and reviewed very well.

That said I don't regret buying the Sigma one bit, it's my 3rd Sigma my other being 10-20mm EX. Although both are under their EX line I feel the 50mm 1.4 is just levels above the 10-20mm.

I used the lens today during and outdoor shoot and it's sharper than my Tokina 28-70 bit a noticeable amount. The lens is a dream to use the focus is just so fast and silent, I could really concentrate on my shots without worrying about focusing issues.

I got my a77 body only without the 16-50mm SSM Sony which is a regret of mine. However the 2 of 3 reasons for the regret I know have the Sigma to cover. The HSM motor is so silent I can definitely shoot video without worrying about the Mic picking up the focusing sounds. Second, I got a lens sharper than my Tokina 28-70 and the focal lens and wide aperture is perfect for portraiture.

I couldn't be happier with this purchase.