Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM A-mount lens review by jvsanchez
|jvsanchez#11516 date: Dec-3-2013|
flare control: 5
|ownership:||I own this lens|
|compared to:||Sony 50 f/1.8 DT SAM|
Minolta 50 f/1.7 AF
|price paid:||400 USD (new)|
|positive:||- Ring HSM with FTMF override|
- sharp wide open, and extremely sharp from f/2
- professional build and look at a relatively low price
|negative:||- Sigma colors aren't as nice as Sony/Minolta colors, but easily fixed in post. |
- large size means heavy and not discrete, but i'm picking nits really. This lens is seriously awesome.
|comment:||- Build is excellent. No wobbles, creaks, or miscellaneous noise. |
- HSM is fast, accurate, and very quiet.
- Full time manual focus override is an awesome convenience feature. No playing with switches or buttons.
- Sharpness is good wide open, and tremendous from f/2
- Colors aren't as warm or saturated out of the lens as a Sony or Minolta lens, but that's easily fixable in post processing.
- I haven't seen any distortion, and the recessed front element and deep hood prevent any unwanted flare.
If you're in the market for a 50/1.4, you really can't go wrong with this one. Make sure to buy a new one or a recently put up used one, as copies manufactured before a certain date may have issues with Sony's SLT technology.