Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM A-mount lens review by moedius

Konica Hexanon 55mm 1.4
Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 XR Di II LD
Sigma 60mm 2.8 DN ART
price paid:165.00 (used)
positive:Sharp wide open, extremely sharp if you dial it back a stop
Very fast aperture
Solid build
Quiet, fast, accurate AF
negative:Really big and heavy for a 50mm
comment:I was actually looking for a Sony or Minolta AF 50 1.4 when I came across this for right around the same price. The HSM tempted me.

No regrets. This lens is excellent, aside from it's huge size and weight. IMO it actually balances very well on the a77ii, so it doesn't bother me at all there, but it's ungainly adapted to the e-mount cameras.

It's plenty sharp at 1.4, mine took a tiny MFA but otherwise the focusing has been smooth and accurute and fast enough. There's an improvement in sharpness and contrast stopped down. I've had 2 copies of the Minolta AF 50 1.7, and there's no comparison. Also compared to various MF 50's and factoring in the overall lenses performances on the whole, this beats them all handily though some of those have specific traits that I may like better.

This is a great step up from the 50\1.7, and for a decent price this is a worthy alternative to the Sony or Minolta AF 50 1.4. I wouldnt pay too much though; if I had the money I would have skipped this and gone straight to the ZA.