Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 II EX DG APO MACRO HSM A-mount lens review by mydarkstars

Colour
Not white!
negative:CA
Heavy
comment:My first 70-200mm f2.8 lens! Was debating whether or not to get the Tamron version but I have Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro and was concerned about the AF speed (yes I know it is a macro). I was able to try out the Sony 70-200mm in a Sony store in Edinburgh and loved the SSM. The Sigma competes pretty well with it, focus speed, sharpness and colour. However, the only drawback is the CA in high contrast situations, although from f4.5/f5 it is ok, only noticable when pixel peeping. Lightroom present does a really good job of correcting the CA.

Really like the images I get from this lens compared to my Minolta of the same range. Sigma's images have a depth to them whereas the Minolta's are a bit flat.

The Bokeh is great, very smooth, lovely in fact.

The lens is quite heavy but what do you expect for a f2.8 zoom lens? I need to find a good way to carry out around whilst shooting. Not as heavy as the superb Sony 70-400mm. Tried that out at the Tokyo Sony center - cured my lens lust instantly!